Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help IDing a cash coin

Can anyone lend me a hand in identifying this cash type coin? It measures 25mm (~1”). I no longer have a reference set for these coins, but I can’t remember seeing one like it when I was actively collecting. Could it possibly be a “charm” or token? Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks! Bill

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

But for the reverse (the top photo), I would hazard a guess that the coin belonged to the Duan Ping emperor (Sourthern Song; reign of 1234 - 1237).
    The reverse puzzles me, however. The bold character, at 6:00, is the number 9. I do not believe that the reverse would belong to the Southern Song dynasty, which lasted from 1127 to 1279. I suspect that there are members here that can give you the answer.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 7:56PM

Hartill 27.5.9
    KM#345
    CKCB 18.216

Sang Pyong coins type 27 - 1 Mun

Kumwiyong, Court Guard Military Office

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭

Good show! Thank you. I never even considered that it may have come from Korea.

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭

Nice catch, Mr. Breeze! Blackhawk, these are nice, heavy coins. I've got maybe a dozen in my collection, maybe more. They are supposed to be tougher to get than Chinese coins. And it's an interesting coin history too. China occupied Korea numerous times; and you sometimes find Chinese cash hoards coming out of Korea. And if I remember right, there was a historically thriving counterfeit coinage going both ways across the borders. And, gosh, now there's another Harthill catalogue I have to buy? :-).
    Harasha, the Korean coins from the 1700's from my experience are big "chunky" brassy planchets; the S. Song dynasty coins are thinner, much more refined in workmanship of the planchet (I should say mold, it's not a stamped blank), and calligraphy is generally better, although when they started iron it got relatively messy.

Chinese cash enthusiast