Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A different Idea...

I was thinking whether a Crown size by Country and by Century type set for the Registry would be of interest for South America, Central America and possibly Europe. I am suggesting this prematurely before I actually have a plan to propose thinking that a group approach makes more sense if there is interest. I have ideas that can be offered should there be interest.

It seems this just might capture a new perspective for collecting that may have some merit beyond a box of 20 or more traditional collecting views...

Thoughts?

And this is just a thought and perhaps the time has just not arrived yet...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea and look forward to hearing suggestions. The biggest challenge, I think, will be deciding how the sets would be ranked, if at all.

Also, FWIW, I would be careful not to overwhelm people with too many options all at once. Better to start with more general options, and then add narrower options as more people get involved. For example, you might start with "one coin from each country", later add a "one crown from each country", and much later offer the same options by century.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a crown collector I'd certainly be interested in hearing how this might come together. I collect mostly earlier issues which helps in limiting the number of countries. The breakup of the Spanish Empire at the beginning of the 19th Century created several independent crown producing nations, later German thalers shrank to less than crown size proportions and then the surplus of silver in the late 19th Century saw many new crown/trade dollar issues across the globe. I don't collect 20th century crowns but I imagine that era has some complexity with the introduction of base-metal issues and then the explosion of silver bullion rounds from just about everywhere.

Maybe a good way to start would be with a thread where we could contribute our lists of world crowns for consideration.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

No rankings
    No competition
    No bragging rights

Just collectors sharing pictures to demonstrate collecting possibilities

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea. Crown per country per century and maybe per some kind of geo distribution - I'd try it.