Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NYINC newp (even though I wasn't there)

Living in California and having two young kids makes it difficult to get out to a show like NYINC. Especially falling just after the holidays. It's a show I'd love to attend as my collecting interests have shifted over to world coins, specifically those with Chinese chopmarks.

This year I attempted to live vicariously through @TwoKopeiki, pestering him with questions about the show. As I understand it, he was about 2 or 3 glasses of wine into a conversation with some coin buddies when @MrEureka showed him a rare chopmarked Latin American coin. His memory was obviously going to be foggy at that point so I had no idea the accuracy of the information. Despite this, I reached out to inquire about the coin. Amazingly, the information was accurate and shortly after the deal was made.

Thanks to both TwoKopeiki and MrEureka for making this happen. For those of you who don't follow populations of chopmarked coins by type (there must be at least a couple of you) the coin below is very rare with Chopmarks, I know of only one other example. The other example is the plate coin in Colin Gullberg's book "Chopmarked Coins: A History".

Looks to have led a good honest life, happy to add it to the collection.

Comments