Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need help to identify ancient Roman coin

Weight 2.87 g, diameter 17 mm.
Possibly Roman republic silver plated denarius, Cassius Longinus (?)
Can't find any reference for this type.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 10:44AM

Don't have any ancients expertise, so all i can do is help googling:

From Roman Elections Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_Roman_Republic)

L. Cassius Longinus denarius depicts Roman citizen casting a vote, 63 BC (M. Crawford, Roman Republican Coinage, No. 413)
    One can read the letter "V" on the tabella (ballot). It stands for V[ti] Rogas, or uti rogas a vote in favor of a new law. A vote against a new law was designated by the letter "A" (antiquo); L. (libero) and D. (damno) were used in the case of a public trial. Roman judices expressed their judgements by the letters A. (absolve), C. (condemno) and N.L. (non liquet).

L. Cassius Longinus, whose name appears on the coin, was the younger brother of C. Cassius Longinus, one of the assassins of Julius Caesar.

From Sear Roman Coins and their Values (RCV 2000 Edition) Number 364 (http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s0364.html)

Roman Republic, AR denarius, 60 BC. Moneyer L. Cassius Longinus AR denarius. Veiled and diademed head of Vesta left, kylix (drinking vessel) behind, letter before / LONGIN III V, togate male figure standing left, dropping voting tablet inscribed V (Vota) into an urn to left. Cr. 413/1; Sear 364; Cassia 10; Albert 1330; Syd 935.

There are more examples on that page, yours seems to match Example No. 11, I more than others

• IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

TwoKopeiki, thank you for reply. I have seen original Cassius Longinus coins, but here is some differences.
    Original coin inscription: LONGIN III V, letter and drinking vessel on obverse. Material: silver.
    My coin inscription: LONGIN VI, and unknown symbols on obverse. Material: copper or bronze, plated by silver.
    Think that's may be forgery coin of Roman republic times.