Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Grading Resources

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like to learn how to grade/analyze coin grades with some degree of precision. What’s the best available resource on coin grading? I’ve seen plenty of materials that will help me differentiate between VF and AU, etc., but I’d like to find something that goes more in depth on the fine points, e.g. MS61 vs MS62. Does such a publication exist?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Coin Grading by Photographs” by Q. David Bowers is a very good printed resource, IMO.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

"PCGS Photograde" on the PCGS website is the best online resource IMO.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the Bowers photo grading book in spiral every day. Plus a bunch of other online resources. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not an easy thing to do anymore. The days of being self-taught are over! Now, it takes work and dedication but today you have resources older collectors never had. Take the ANA grading seminars beginner to advanced. Try the grading correspondence course. Better than the course - is the help of a knowledgeable dealer and lots of slabbed coins to examine, that should get you into the ballpark. Join a coin club.

Unfortunately, IMHO most folks at all levels of experience still cannot grade. However, when you can cover the grade on a slab from a major grading service and hit THEIR GRADE (not yours) 90+% of the time and catch the reason any are detailed, YOU CAN GRADE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file