Home Sports Talk
Options

R.I.P. Mel Stottlemyre

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Former New York Yankees legend Mel Stottlemyre -- who starred on the mound for the Bronx Bombers before presiding over five World Series titles as a pitching coach for the Yankees and Mets -- died Sunday in Seattle after a battle with bone marrow cancer. He was 77.

Stottlemyre pitched in 11 seasons with the Yankees and was a five-time All-Star. He also served as pitching coach on the 1986 New York Mets World Series team and the great Joe Torre-led Yankees teams of the late 1990s and early 2000s. The Yankees won the World Series in 1996, 1998, 1999 and 2000 during that run. In the process, Stottlemyre worked with some of the greatest pitchers of the times: Dwight Gooden with the Mets and Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, David Cone, David Wells and Mariano Rivera with the Yankees.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess a career sub 3.00 era carries no swagger anymore.

:|

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad. He battled cancer for almost 20 years. He didn’t go down easy. No sir.

RIP Mel.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I always admired M.S. as player, coach and Yankee ambassador.
    I can still remember watching him long throw with Clemens. Clemens is in CF and Mel inside RF line. He was hitting Clemens every time in the chest. Could he still throw!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. RIP Mel.