Explain the fascination with toning

2»

Comments

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

You either feel it or you don`t... :)

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Regarding taste...there is no dispute.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have debated responding for two days . . . .I have no prescient info to add . . . and have not read above . .

To me . . toning represents in many cases a signal of originality. Plain and simple. I have spent enough time and paid my dues (writing Coin World and NN News articles from decades ago) on toning to at least decide for myself if it is AT or NT or "market acceptable" on either side of the equation. So . . . I don't really care about other opinions . . . I know what looks to me to be evidence of age. I go with that . . . . . . .
    Drunner

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are breast men, others leg men.

thefinn
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    the hand bothers me in the pilgrim just an observation

Like he's getting ready to flip the bird?

thefinn
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another way for sellers to pick a buyers pocket. Another fake distinction along the lines of first strike bullion or MS-70 graded moderns.

Its not a one way grift though , the buyers have Stockholm syndrome and are willing participants. Then once they buy it human vanity forces them to defend the concept because they can't admit they are as stupid as the average QVC buyer.

Its a tragic mental deficiency , like Bernie Madoffs victims were the last to admit he was a crook because that meant they were both bankrupt and stupid. :D

• duck620duck620 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

1926 OREGON TRAIL... B)

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all comes down to personal choice, which I think is just great. Buy and enjoy what you like. Numismatics has something for everyone.

I personally think that 50+ year old blast white silver coins look ‘unnatural’. But that’s just one man’s opinion.

Have fun!
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file