Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1792 coins heritage

I thought all the 1792 coins at heritage sold really cheap. The Silver Center AU 58+ brought 750k and I thought it is equal to the NGC 63+ coin that sold for 1,4 Million. The Copper Disme was really nice too and brought only 370k or so and so on... Maybe there just came to many up for sale the last few years, anybody agrees with me ?

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privaterarecoincollector said:
    I thought all the 1792 coins at heritage sold really cheap. The Silver Center AU 58+ brought 750k and I thought it is equal to the NGC 63+ coin that sold for 1,4 Million.

Do you think the realized price difference here may have anything to do with the AU58+ vs NGC 63+ grades?

• Options

Im not sure as I though all others sold cheap too. The Disme was much nicer than the NGC 55 that sold for 500k and probably 5 to 8 grades better.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the prices were reasonable, especially the 1792 Judd-2 Cent which set a record by almost double the prior NGC XF40 that I crossed to PCGS SP40, was a strong price. I do agree with you that the 1792 silver centered cent in 58+ was a nicer coin than the grade on the holder. It was a significant step up from my 1792 SP55RB example no doubt, which was around 500K. So perhaps its knew owner who was smiling from ear to ear after he won it, felt he got a deal! It is true that over a relatively short span, there has been major turnover in collections that held the majority of the nice 1792 patterns of the market for many years (decades in some circumstances).

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins in that price range are and always have been far out of my reach. Because the market can be quite thin at that price level I'm not sure much can be said about the health of that market based on one auction. The addition or loss of one enthusiastic bidder can greatly change results.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

At their prices, I wonder is some of those went to dealers, rather than collectors.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 8:41AM

The coins sold at fair prices: that is what a buy was willing to pay, hence, the price was a true "fair market value." The issue is that each coin sold is a unique commodity. Each specimen offers specific appeal or distaste to a potential buyer. This motivates action or inaction.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@privaterarecoincollector said:
    I thought all the 1792 coins at heritage sold really cheap. The Silver Center AU 58+ brought 750k and I thought it is equal to the NGC 63+ coin that sold for 1,4 Million.

Do you think the realized price difference here may have anything to do with the AU58+ vs NGC 63+ grades?

Probably more to do with the specific buyers and who was and wasn't bidding. I don't and cannot participate at this financial level but if I could and did, I might consider a duplicate. I buy duplicates of much lower priced coins in my series since I like it better than anything else.

If it really is due to the difference in the TPG grade or the minimal difference in quality, that's all anyone needs to know about the state of collecting. These coins are near the top of my list, as opposed to the disproportionate number of other similar or higher priced coins which usually in my opinion have little distinction other than an inflated price.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    I thought the prices were reasonable, especially the 1792 Judd-2 Cent which set a record by almost double the prior NGC XF40 that I crossed to PCGS SP40, was a strong price. I do agree with you that the 1792 silver centered cent in 58+ was a nicer coin than the grade on the holder. It was a significant step up from my 1792 SP55RB example no doubt, which was around 500K. So perhaps its knew owner who was smiling from ear to ear after he won it, felt he got a deal! It is true that over a relatively short span, there has been major turnover in collections that held the majority of the nice 1792 patterns off the market for many years (decades in some circumstances)

This :/

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file