1983 Fleer - Marlboro Cards

59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

I just noticed these two cards, like the Randy Johnson 1989 Fleer - #381 card, have a "Marlboro" cigarette sign in the background. Not aware of any "changes" to these cards. Did the R. Johnson varieties only occur because it is his RC? Interested in learning more about why Fleer corrected the '89 card but, as far as I know, did nothing to the '83 cards. How many other brands of cards have similar billboards in the background?

Comments

  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭

    Those are 1983.

    Andy

  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would say between 83 & 89 smoking became a lot more stigmatized and since they were already fixing the Ripken FF ...

  • Are there cards that show ballplayers actually smoking?
    kevin

  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

    If anyone would have a card with a cigarette in his mouth, Earl Weaver would have to be at the top of the list.

  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    @ahopkins said:
    Those are 1983.

    My mistake. Thanks for the catch. I edited my original post.

  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 4:38PM

    @tulsaboy said:
    Are there cards that show ballplayers actually smoking?

    This is a good question. I don't think I've ever seen one, but I have seen many photos of players smoking during a game. And plenty of chaw, of course.

    Andy

  • JKTJKT Posts: 480 ✭✭✭

    Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

    I don't remember any cards with smoking depicted.....this SI cover came to mind though.

    [email protected]

    Longtime Set Builder

    Wantlists and Tradelists on my Site:

    http://flcardtrader.16mb.com

    Let's Trade!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭

    Didn't Keith Hernandez light up on occasion in the dugout?

  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

    1983 Fleer were redeemable with Joe Camel bucks.

    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭

    @lahmejoon said:
    If anyone would have a card with a cigarette in his mouth, Earl Weaver would have to be at the top of the list.

    Jim Leyland says Weaver can wait his turn somewhere lower than the top.

  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭

    @ahopkins said:

    @tulsaboy said:

    And plenty of chaw, of course.

    Makes me wonder, if they had a competition for that (similar to the infamous 1976 Topps Kurt Bevacqua bubble gum card) then who would have the more comically ridiculous cheek, Nellie Fox or Mickey Tettleton? There are a lot of contenders among the printed cards of those two players.

  • @craig44 said:
    Didn't Keith Hernandez light up on occasion in the dugout?

    Just the cocaine he free based.

  • @miwlvrn said:

    @ahopkins said:

    @tulsaboy said:

    And plenty of chaw, of course.

    Makes me wonder, if they had a competition for that (similar to the infamous 1976 Topps Kurt Bevacqua bubble gum card) then who would have the more comically ridiculous cheek, Nellie Fox or Mickey Tettleton? There are a lot of contenders among the printed cards of those two players.

    Don't forget Lenny Dykstra.

  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭

    Sorting out some freshly opened '84 Fleer tonight and noticed Vuckovich carries the Marlboro sign on his card.

    Andy

  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

    Here is a SECOND Randy Johnson Marlboro appearance.

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭

    @1966CUDA said:
    Here is a SECOND Randy Johnson Marlboro appearance.

    Looks like he's wearing someone else's jersey (if that's even possible that another jersey would fit, length-wise) as the nameplate sure doesn't appear to be Johnson.

  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭

    Wow, just looked up the Jacksonville Suns. Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Clayton Kershaw, and Randy Johnson all pitched for them.

    Andy

  • @LarkinCollector said:
    I would say between 83 & 89 smoking became a lot more stigmatized and since they were already fixing the Ripken FF ...

    They had already gone through all of the Randy Johnson correction attempts before the Ripken was corrected. Black out/final version can be found in boxes that still have the Ripken FF.

    fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
Sign In or Register to comment.