Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greysheet Pricing Error, Surely?

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a really nice 1854 three dollar gold MS63 PCGS I just had to snag down in Dalton Ga. last August. I am trying to find a window of time between shows to send in a batch of coins to CAC. But I was checking the Greysheet (print version, January) prices for CAC vs. non-. Greysheet Bid shows MS63 non-CAC $875 (??!$%^##???) and MS63 CAC $1,975. Is there really any chance these prices have any possible semblance to the market? Several other three dollar gold issues also show similar, uh, gaps is not the right word, abysses between CAC and non-CAC dates.

Here is the coin, BTW, and I spent a lot more than either price above to buy it:

Your opinions, please?

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Questions like this make me glad that I no longer actually buy coins. I wonder how many others are beginning to think the same thing.

(I have no idea what the answer to your question is. I find the whole "sticker" business to be a real turn off.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 7:50AM

I checked my CDN app - $2800 bid non CAC / $3150 bid for CAC. CPG MV is 3500 / 3940 respectively. Appears to be 25 pct muf.

This is par for what I would expect on this kind of material. They have an excellent handle on the market and pricing data. I use their numbers in pricing a lot of my material or for basis bidding / making offer. However I consider other sources also like CF, auction data.

It a really nice coin!

I will take look at my printed copy.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

CDN publisher John F is very good about addressing these type of questions when posted here. May take a bit of time with FUN active.

My guess would be an error, as the typical non CAC to CAC spreads in the market are in the 10-15% range. I don't trade $3 Gold but a double in valuation seems extraordinary.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    CDN publisher John F is very good about addressing these type of questions when posted here. May take a bit of time with FUN active.

My guess would be an error, as the typical non CAC to CAC spreads in the market are in the 10-15% range. I don't trade $3 Gold but a double in valuation seems extraordinary.

I have not checked the pricing on this coin but non CAC to CAC spreads are usually far higher than 10-15% on better date gold. Sometimes double. For instance a 1914-D Indian Quarter Eagle PCGS 65 trades around 10,000 to 15,000. A 1914-D Indian Quarter Eagle PCGS 65 CAC trades for $25,000 and up (if you can find one).

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a gold person, but it's my understanding that gold like this is the key market for CAC vs non, and CAC-able is rare for certain dates/grades because so much stuff as been messed with. That said a big premium wouldn't surprise me.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    I have a really nice 1854 three dollar gold MS63 PCGS I just had to snag down in Dalton Ga. last August. I am trying to find a window of time between shows to send in a batch of coins to CAC. But I was checking the Greysheet (print version, January) prices for CAC vs. non-. Greysheet Bid shows MS63 non-CAC $875 (??!$%^##???) and MS63 CAC $1,975. Is there really any chance these prices have any possible semblance to the market? Several other three dollar gold issues also show similar, uh, gaps is not the right word, abysses between CAC and non-CAC dates.

Here is the coin, BTW, and I spent a lot more than either price above to buy it:

Kind regards,

George

I'm not sure where those numbers come from. The online edition says MS63 $2800 and 63CAC $3150. Frankly. I think the 63CAC would sell for much more than the CAC-less for gold

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's certainly a beauty! Please add my name in this generous giveaway, :D:)

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not an error. I have noticed larger spreads between cac and non cac where certain types of gold especially in specific grade ranges where getting coins to cac sticker are much tougher than other series.

I can see where $3's in the grades you posted and higher are much tougher to get stickered.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 9:59AM

How much of a jump with 2 CAC Stickers? ;)

As some of coins graded today need more than one :(

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    I'm not a gold person, but it's my understanding that gold like this is the key market for CAC vs non, and CAC-able is rare for certain dates/grades because so much stuff as been messed with. That said a big premium wouldn't surprise me.

If messed with maybe should not be in a straight grade holder.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be buying and happy collecting the beautiful $3 historic gold coin. Certainly wouldn't let a green sticker influence if I was willing to pay or let go for a 100%+ premium on it. Crazy, crazy world.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot believe no one has thrown out the old don't call me Shirley joke.

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 7:35PM

This was heavily complained about at the fun show among dealer how bad the greysheet was this month.

The entire $3 SERIES as well as many other categories are completely off.

Be careful and do not rely on this months printed greysheet

may the fonz be with you...always...

and for the record, regular ms63's are worth around $2500 while cac's are around $3,000

• JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, in the midst of major progress and improvements we are human and do make mistakes. The $3 gold was a column shift error. This was blogged back on December 19 and was featured in our weekly emails.

http://blog.greysheet.com/3-dollar-princess-prices-greysheet-changes-dece2018/

Any active subscriber can email us at orders@greysheet.com for a PDF by email with the replacement page. The download edition was fixed immediately, of course.

I am only aware of one other significant issue, which was the omission of the 1916 Standing quarter (Greysheet values). Those prices can be found here: https://www.greysheet.com/coin-prices/series/Standing-Liberty-Quarters/

We apologize for any inconvenience.
    John

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)

@JohnF said:
    Unfortunately, in the midst of major progress and improvements we are human and do make mistakes. The $3 gold was a column shift error. This was blogged back on December 19 and was featured in our weekly emails.

http://blog.greysheet.com/3-dollar-princess-prices-greysheet-changes-dece2018/

Any active subscriber can email us at orders@greysheet.com for a PDF by email with the replacement page. The download edition was fixed immediately, of course.

I am only aware of one other significant issue, which was the omission of the 1916 Standing quarter (Greysheet values). Those prices can be found here: https://www.greysheet.com/coin-prices/series/Standing-Liberty-Quarters/

We apologize for any inconvenience.
    John

I do not get a printed catalogue but heard major comments about seated material. I did not look through the entire issue myself but did hear much grumbling from dealers as I made my way around the show. Glad to hear Greysheet made an announcement, but curious if it was blogged about on december 19th, isnt the issue in question the january issue?

Further, while columns were "shifted" if Im not mistaken, the $3 column which is the only one I really looked at, must have been 4-5 columns over as 1854 $3's in ms63 at something like $900.

Obviously as JohnF pointed out mistakes do happen.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 6:23AM

Are dealers ever not grumbling?

;)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Are dealers ever not grumbling?

;)

Much like collectors, they are old men.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list