Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just learned something interesting today.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned from my bank that a customer of the bank rents out multiple (over 10) extra large sized Safe Deposit boxes at the bank (at a rental rate of over $200.00 per year per box) and that the customer stores his coin collection therein.

This information has me wondering what kind of collection the customer has. For example, is it:

1. Bullion;

2. Modern Mint products purchased from the mint that sits in OGP;

3. An inherited collection spanning the spectrum of US coinage that has been formed over multiple generations;

4. Coins pulled from circulation over multiple decades;

5. Coins accumulated from around the world over decades by the collector when travelling;

6. Slabbed Coins (i.e. MS Morgans or MS Lincoln Cents) accumulated over the decades;

7. 1964 and earlier US Proof Sets all in unopened OGP going back to the 19th century;

8. 1947-1958 US Double Mint Sets all in unopened OGP;

9. Error coinage;

10. Variety coinage;

11. Toned coins;

12. Blast White coins;

13. Coins with Original Skin

14. OBW Rolls of MS coins from 1964 on back to the 19th century;

15. OBW Rolls of MS clad coinage from 1965 to 1999;

16. Coins purchased from Coin Vault or other TV Shopping channel programs;

17. Any other type of cool collection.

You just never know what is out there hidden in Safe Deposit Boxes or other secure places.

Comments

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention storing money in a safety deposit box is generally illegal so they reaaaallly shouldn’t be discussing it.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

SDBs have their advantages, but also their disadvantages. If the owner passes away they get sealed and a full inventory is done before the heirs can empty it out. Or so I understand.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    SDBs have their advantages, but also their disadvantages. If the owner passes away they get sealed and a full inventory is done before the heirs can empty it out. Or so I understand.

I'm sure that varies depending on (1) individual bank preferences and (2) state law.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    I learned from my bank that a customer of the bank rents out multiple (over 10) extra large sized Safe Deposit boxes at the bank (at a rental rate of over $200.00 per year per box) and that the customer stores his coin collection therein.

This information has me wondering what kind of collection the customer has. For example, is it:

1. Bullion;

2. Modern Mint products purchased from the mint that sits in OGP;

3. An inherited collection spanning the spectrum of US coinage that has been formed over multiple generations;

4. Coins pulled from circulation over multiple decades;

5. Coins accumulated from around the world over decades by the collector when travelling;

6. Slabbed Coins (i.e. MS Morgans or MS Lincoln Cents) accumulated over the decades;

7. 1964 and earlier US Proof Sets all in unopened OGP going back to the 19th century;

8. 1947-1958 US Double Mint Sets all in unopened OGP;

9. Error coinage;

10. Variety coinage;

11. Toned coins;

12. Blast White coins;

13. Coins with Original Skin

14. OBW Rolls of MS coins from 1964 on back to the 19th century;

15. OBW Rolls of MS clad coinage from 1965 to 1999;

16. Coins purchased from Coin Vault or other TV Shopping channel programs;

17. Any other type of cool collection.

You just never know what is out there hidden in Safe Deposit Boxes or other secure places.

Meant to quote this in my reply.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be extremely weary of doing business with that Bank and or teller ever again

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a safety deposit box so pardon my ignorance...but is a bank representative present when you access your box to add or take items?

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 8:38PM

I edited my first post. Mistake.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 7:21PM

@Downtown1974 said:
    I do not have a safety deposit box so pardon my ignorance...but is a bank representative present when you access your box to add or take items?

No.

Edit to add: They will sign you in and out of the storage vault but are to leave when you open to access the box. No one knows what is in your box except yourself and whoever you tell.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think, after the umpteenth time of someone saying "the bank shouldn't do that", we get the point in this thread.

Past that, I think the OP, while knowing that, isn't fixated on that part and was wanting to have a fun little speculation/guessing game (correct me if I am wrong, SanctionII).

So, to that, I say "he's keeping 'golden dollars', like the Sacs" in there....the old $500 boxes from the mint that they did for a couple of years :) "

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think perhaps the largest holding of clad mint sets in private hands!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:

Yes and no.
    They use their key and your key.
    You lift the box out.
    They leave you in the vault and you play with your widgets.
    You ring the bell when it's time for them to come back with their key to lock the box in.

This is one scenario.
    Other institutions it varies but in any case nobody 'sees' your beanie babies

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    I think, after the umpteenth time of someone saying "the bank shouldn't do that", we get the point in this thread.

Thank you Nurse Ratched. I was ready to say that the bank rep should not be discussing what is personal business of the customers. I will refrain.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Bochiman said:

Thank you Nurse Ratched. I was ready to say that the bank rep should not be discussing what is personal business of the customers. I will refrain.

You remain a tool on all websites, don't you. You have to jump in and make your noise. I ignored you on the other website..maybe time to do it here, as well (and each time you make your alts, since you have so many).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I agree the bank employee has zero business sharing: (1) that there is a customer renting 10 boxes (2) for his coin collection. That said, I just assume there are all sorts of treasures in the bank's safety deposit boxes.

At least the bank employee had enough sense not to say: (1) who the customer is; and (2) what coins are in the box (OP speculates as to what coins are in the boxes).

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:
    Not to mention storing money in a safety deposit box is generally illegal so they reaaaallly shouldn’t be discussing it.

Citation? There is no federal law against it, and I don't think most states prohibit it either. Mine certainly doesn't. On the other hand, some banks may have a policy against it.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion and Saints! If so, imagine owning that quantity!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

For over thirty years I stored my childhood coin collection in a SDB. Nothing of great value and a lot of uncirc rolls of 1960's era Lincoln cents. Then I woke up to the reality that a SDB made no sense considering that the value of that collection would not be over $10,000. I now enjoy those coins at home........but now have a SDB for the significant coins that I have acquired in the past ten years. But the disclosure by the bank employee was certainly not appropriate.

OINK

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

I moved my coins to a private secured location AND CLOSED MY BOX FOR VARIOUS REASONS INCL SOME STATED HERE.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loose lips sink ships

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any bank that would even mention my mere existence to anyone else would quickly become my ex-bank. And no, I don't even wonder about what's in their boxes - too close to envy for me.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 9:29PM

Have a donut, RMan.

• Options

Time for me to go sip a less expensive version of what TDN has... 🥃

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII .... Indeed very interesting. One day, an amazing collection may appear..both in quantity and quality.... Then we can speculate if it was the one in your post.... There are many hidden collections out there still.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

All modern, post 1964, proof and mint sets. No gold.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    the bank is putting the customer at risk

banksters :(

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pay only $70 per year for the largest box at my credit union.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    For over thirty years I stored my childhood coin collection in a SDB. Nothing of great value and a lot of uncirc rolls of 1960's era Lincoln cents. Then I woke up to the reality that a SDB made no sense considering that the value of that collection would not be over $10,000. I now enjoy those coins at home........but now have a SDB for the significant coins that I have acquired in the past ten years. But the disclosure by the bank employee was certainly not appropriate.

OINK

A very sane, and well thought out reply.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I suggest you change banks IMMEDIATELY. What's next? They call another "friend" when you visit your SDB?

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people are overreacting a little here. People know a lot more about you than you think. As a child my mailman recognized me away from home and knew I was a coin collector because of the mail I received. Using a PO Box just removes this knowledge by one layer. I have numerous safety deposit boxes and don't doubt a few of the employees know what's in them. I cash checks from various sorts of coin related enterprises and there are likely other clues they can pick up on.

Security involves more "layering" of measures than it does secrecy because there's never been true secrecy. Be sure not to advertise and try not to leave clues and hope for the best. Remember even if everyone knew exactly what safety deposit box you have and its contents it's highly improbable there will be commandos coming down from the ceiling to rob it. A safety deposit box isn't complete protection but it's a pretty solid start.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:

This is completely false. It is against many BANK policies and terms of service to keep cash in a SDB. They want you to deposit your cash so they can use your money to extend loans etc so they can charge interest...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get some empty coffee cans, fill them with the coins from your collection and bury them on Saddle Ridge. Problem solved! :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bank employees should not know the content of you SDB... UNLESS the client wishes to brag about it to the employee who has the bank key to open and close..

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most banks will give good customers discounts or free SDB’s. Finding large SDB’s is very difficult. Finding a bank with multiple empty large SDB’s is next to impossible where I live. A large SDB only holds about 10 PCGS boxes or 200 coins. I’m sure lots of collectors have more than 200 slabbed coins.

Banks don’t know what is in a SDB unless the customer tells them. Obviously the bank employee has a big mouth and should be terminated.

• Options

Time for more states to setup their own depositories for citizens:

https://www.texasbulliondepository.gov

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wheat cents?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

A large number of posts to this thread.

In starting the thread I my attention was focused on speculating about what the stored collection consists of. My speculation ranged from nothing of significance to a a fantastic collection.

I did not think about the "privacy" aspect of things that many have brought up in their replies. Very good points have been raised in the replies.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learn something new every day! Shady bankers :(

@ShadyDave said:

@SiriusBlack said:

This is completely false. It is against many BANK policies and terms of service to keep cash in a SDB. They want you to deposit your cash so they can use your money to extend loans etc so they can charge interest...

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    A large number of posts to this thread.

In starting the thread I my attention was focused on speculating about what the stored collection consists of. My speculation ranged from nothing of significance to a a fantastic collection.

I did not think about the "privacy" aspect of things that many have brought up in their replies. Very good points have been raised in the replies.

It's a safe bet the coins are valuable enough to make the $100 to $200 annual cost to be nominal. People just aren't going to store very many common coins this way. Probably some of the coins aren't worth the expense but the coins are far more likely to represent the 30,000 "missing" '16-D dimes than the millions of missing 1973 quarters. The owner believes these coins are valuable enough or will be valuable enough to defray the cost of storage.

People should remember there are many million of graded coins and these represent a small percentage of the coins that might be graded in the future.

Apropos of nothing in particular I know there are hoards of moderns out there. I can see the effect of the hoarders on the market. It appears there's one out east around DC and another in California. A few others are possible.

Nothing can be known from the scant information available but the odds are good there silver, gold, and numismatic coins and the coins are most probably classics in the $50 to $2,000 range. Of course they could easily be graded coins and much more valuable. Speculation is meaningless as it is entirely possible someone has more money than brains and is saving wheat cents or nickels for their bullion value.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file