Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Didn't Franklin Halves do this kinda thing then prices receded ? Is it worth it?

SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common Franklins in BU and Proof are somewhat lower now. The lower spot prices have also made them cheaper (at one point $15-$20 was the price for generics and now you can fill an album with most costing less that $10 each-even UNC).

The top end of the Franklin market is different. For instance, the 67+ FBL Toner recently sold for close to $130k with the juice.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, If a person wanted to see a profit in rare coins, he/she might have to pick a later date entry point of highly graded pretty stuff. I am not against collecting stuff that came out in the last half of the 20th century, nice coins many of them are. It's just this price point seems irrational.

Thank you for your insight $130k with juice is big

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

$130K is not for ( and many others)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

me (added)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    So, If a person wanted to see a profit in rare coins, he/she might have to pick a later date entry point of highly graded pretty stuff. I am not against collecting stuff that came out in the last half of the 20th century, nice coins many of them are. It's just this price point seems irrational.

I would NOT recommend late date condition rarities. There are millions of coins that could still be submitted which will render your condition rarity less rare with a corresponding drop in price.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make crazy.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 10:24AM

@Soldi said:

You have to know what you're doing and the only way to know is to collect the coins. After you look at lots of coins you know what's common and what's rare. But then there must be a growing demand in order to be reasonably sure of making a profit. My thinking is pretty simple; pick something with no demand at all and find the rarities. There's always a catch and that is "rarities" are by definition difficult to find. Therefore you need a large universe from which to collect and that is exactly why I selected all modern US and world coins in base metal; no demand and lots of rarities. While this has worked quite well it might be noted there are far more rarities that have yet to increase than those which have gone through the roof. This is simply because so few collectors have any interest in something like gemmy cu/ ni from populous but still poor countries. They have no interest so they don't know that it tends to be scarce and many issues are actually rare.

There are other areas in numismatics and exonumismatics that are very underpopulated and lots of all sorts of rarities. I sometimes use so-called tax tokens as an example. These might never have any interest despite the fact that they fullfill all the defining characteristics of "obsolete US coins". Most of them are scarce in Unc and rare in Gem.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just imagine if you stacked All the survivors of each issue one atop the other..

Most moderns, the stack is very, very tall, hundreds of thousands or millions of coins, the ones on the top are admittedly very nice. But very expensive But just a little more mark free or lustrous than the hundreds below, some of which are still rolled and may very well be even nicer.

Then there are the early US coins, for which the stack is maybe 50 or 200 or 500 coins tall, only the top dozen or fewer examples are AU or low Unc, and a very nice, historic artifact in the middle or even bottom of the pile IS LESS EXPENSIVE THAN THE COMMON COIN!

Has always been a no brainer for me.. give me the MS64 Frankie or Washie, and the Fine draped bust quarter and half, as well as a brand new Corvette, and someone else can buy the ulltra gem 1958 Half.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had the complete sets in Capital holders that I regularly sold for around $300 in the 70's. :/

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 6:35PM

Have to agree with @Thor11

Franklins in general have performed very very poorly over the last 20 years. The $100,000 + coin is an anomaly. A freak transaction that occurred when 2 Registry players with deep pockets both set out in a must have mode.

If you take the very top end coins out of the equation (those who's prices are Registry driven), the only Franklin I can think of in the whole series that has been a good investment is the 1963-P in MS64FBL and MS65FBL. All the rest have taken a huge beating as the population of certified coins has steadily increased and gradeflation continues unabated.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick Tomaska did a heck of a business in Graded PCGS Franklin's FBL... Used to advertise all over. The market did tank though in the mid 2000's. Quarters like this I am not sure..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file