Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Penny found in cafeteria described as "the holy grail"

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.newser.com/story/269689/this-penny-isnt-worth-a-penny-its-the-holy-grail.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_top

Pete at Berkshire Hills coins in Pittsfield knows the whole story behind this. I find the sensational type headlines and stories like this to be unhelpful. Bad metaphor, when others would suffice. Expect more of that with big auction results this week.

Comments

• Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

Although I would love to find one those, I agree that it's definitely not a "holy grail" coin. There are 20 estimated to exist according to coinfacts. I can think of far more rare coins that I would describe as "holy grail" coins. The 1913 Liberty Head Nickel- (One of my personal favorites.)

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to me that's an obtainable "holy grail" coin. I mean you never know.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever hear of the story where some guy found a 1909-S V.D.B. in a gas station "Take a penny, give a penny" tray. Or the guy who received a Mule Sac dollar in change at his jobs cafeteria.
    It happens...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 1:45PM

The headlines for this stuff are overblown, but they do serve some purpose by getting people interested in coinage, even if only for a moment. Maybe it's the spark that will get someone hooked.

Because of this story, I'm expecting even more posts on this forum like "Ever see this, 1944 whitish peNnye???" along with a dozen blurry pics and them saying it's very valuable, it's going to sale for good price.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file