Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ballpark premium on toned coons

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2019 12:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What number would you generally estimate for premium on toned coins. Below nicey toned 1904-O Dollar PCGS MS 64 Toner.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not give a color premium for that Morgan.

In general color premiums vary from $0 to $Thousands. It’s all about the colors, vibrancy, and the almighty luster.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Ballpark premium on toned coons."

All uz raccoons have about the same fur coloring -- except the kits. 'Course, once the houn' dawgs a git 'em, they's mostly che'u'd up som'tim fearce. An'nev'r let 'em in the ballpark 'cuz the'd et the hot dawgs and scar' the ladies.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one time a dealer "ellesmere" wrote "no more than ten percent" 10%. I have had a hard time buying a nice coin for that premium unless it was common. In the case of the above coin? No premium, but I like that coin as original pleasing 64.

Nice Coin. :) daverro

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

$0

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s nice. $10 premium seems reasonable.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

0 on that coin

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some feel there is positive, neutral, and negative toning - ranging from +20X to -30%.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin, toning, series, date, mm, metal, the buyer, the seller and on and on and on. Ah the joy of collecting. If posted here and lots of wows maybe a lot.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2019 6:50PM

It seems to have attractive russet surfaces. Right obv very attractive a sort of late evening afterglow a sort of twilights last gleaming. If The coin appears to have a decent strike for the issue to ones soft over the ear.

It would make nice present to fiancée with engagement ring. “Darling as the sun sets on our courtship, our engagement will be a bright new dawn of a new era in our relationship.”

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin in the OP will trade like any other generic. The market for toned coins, save for the very top (think AB, Northern Lights, etc.), has tightened in the last couple of years.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some factors to consider:
    Side: Obverse toner > Reverse Toner
    Grade Surfaces: MS65 is a big break point... The nicer the surfaces the larger the premium.
    Luster: The more luster to make the coin pop, the better.
    Color: Rainbow is best; green is highly prized. The brighter, more vibrant, and bolder the colors the better.
    Pattern: Some patterns are more favorable. Bag toned pieces including textile toners will fetch much more than album toning or the like.
    Plastic: There is a bias towards PCGS.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2019 7:51PM

I think it would fly just fine in the show 90 day fiancée episode where he meets her at airport giving her a ring and gift casting out the brutality of the market.

Buy some more generics nicely toned for what I paid on that one u bet!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    The coin in the OP will trade like any other generic. The market for toned coins, save for the very top (think AB, Northern Lights, etc.), has tightened in the last couple of years.

The coin in the original post would most likely sell for no premium (unless someone really likes it...even then I don't see more than a $10-$20 premium).

As far as the toned coin market tightening, I wouldn't say that is quite true. I'm always on the lookout for mid-range toners (let's say $50-$500 range) and it's taking higher bids to win those lately compared to 2-3 years ago.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

No premium on that Morgan.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much near zero for that. On an earlier coin like a bust half or bust dollar, it might get a bump.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 7:19AM

Ballpark premium on toned coons?

Untoned coons are rarer and carry a higher premium. And, they taste better.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a rule, to be rainbow the coin must have 4 distinctly different colors. For that I would pay up to 10X actual value. Anything less gets far less. Your example gets very little extra as it's just one shade of color.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't a weatherman just get fired for that?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    Didn't a weatherman just get fired for that?

Hopefully no one replying here is a weatherman...

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

derryb thanks for that pic, I used to have pet coons, but had never even seen an albino. Albino skunks are common.

Toning on coins is COMPLETELY subjective

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file