Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's going on with the 1989 Donruss Griffey Jr PSA 10 cards?

2»

Comments

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just dug mine up graded many years ago from a factory set if I remember. Might need another trip out west. Such a nice card in top condition.

• @countdouglas said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Has anyone been paying attention to the price of PSA 9's for the 89UD? Very wide range of prices, under $50 to nearly $80. That makes no sense that there is that much of range.

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1989-upper-deck/ken-griffey-jr/values/240889#g=9

What makes no sense is that anyone pays any kind of money at all for 89 UD Griffey cards. Card number 1 was the upper left corner of the sheet, and many of the cards were cut OC or dinged or damaged in the original printing and subsequent packaging. Upper Deck, being a new entrant into the hobby, and wanting satisfied customers, had a guarantee for some period of time that you could return any cards with issues to the factory for replacement. They are said to have had to print thousands of sheets containing nothing but Griffey cards. Many of the current high grade examples likely come from the inside positions from those replacement sheets. I believe there is more to this than urban legend.

Iconic card, yes. Worthy of top dollar in a manufacturer's manipulated high grade condition, no.

Few things....

I agree about the card. I understand why its iconic, and at the same time I have opined before that its the most over priced card there is. The stated print run was 2 million. Given supply, the price makes little sense.

I have heard the rumor about the sheets to. But here's the thing: Ever met a person who even claimed they sent in a dinged Griffey for a replacement? Not me. No dealer had a number for you to call to get your replacement. Maybe some "insiders" got some, but I doubt it was very many. Again, two million copies anyway.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 7:18AM

I bought a box of ‘89 Upper deck really early on. Most of the cards had severe corner damage. I sent all stars in for replacement. They sent me the replacements and a few packs as an apology. They published the address and replacement policy in the hobby magazines at the time. The policy was there because they had real problems packaging the cards. With the shadiness of Upper Deck (just look at French hockey) I could see them making extra Griffey’s for their execs to slip into the market for a profit.

Back then centering was not as important as it is today. Cannot imagine anyone sending in cards unless they had the corner damage. If people were bothering to mail in cards would think they would have included other HOFs like I did but maybe not. If my box was an indication of the problem it was pervasive if you bought a box made before the issues were fixed.

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

If the demand is there no matter the supply then you end up with this situation. The UD Griffey is a different animal that I am really not sure you can compare to anything else. The talent and likability of Jr plus the perfect storm of the timing of its release as the new premium brand and being card #1 etc just makes this card and it’s value way different than what we normally see as far as the supply and demand thoughts

• jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

Has anybody here seen an all Griffey 89 UD sheet? I search online from time to time because I would love to own one and I can't find it. What an awesome piece that would be to have framed. Anybody have any info on these?

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a lot of issues with factory creases on the reverse of 1989 Upper Deck. I sent back about 250 cards that were creased this way in 1989 and Upper Deck replaced those cards with unopened packs. I still remember that in those packs I got zero stars or rookies and thought Upper Deck intentionally sent me crappy packs.