Home U.S. Coin Forum

Imagine losing your Mint job in 1874

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2019 1:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a poignant letter concerning dismissal of Philadelphia Mint employee Eliza Bond, Adjuster. It's particularly sad to note what Snowden has to say in the last paragraph of his reply. This is rather long and wordy in the supplicant style of 19th century correspondence, but it is a pale reflection of daily living when there are few options short of work-till-you-drop.

"Perth Amboy, N.J.
August 3, 1874

Hon. James Pollock

Dear Sir,
Yesterday I received a most heart rending letter from my old friend, Mrs. Bond, telling me of her discharge from the Mint, and begging me to try and have her restored to it, else she would be reduced to dire poverty.

I can never forget dear Sir, the kind and gracious manner in which you received me some few years ago, when I came before you (with a letter of recommendation from Gen. George Meade) to plead the cause of this same unhappy lady. You consented at once to receive her, and even promised that so long as you possessed the power, she should retain her position at the Mint provided her conduce gave satisfaction. You may perhaps have forgotten this promise, as your duties are so arduous, but I remember it well and fear that you have no longer any jurisdiction over the discharge of the employees – for surely the conduct of Mrs. Bond has been unexceptionable although her health has been wretched.

I pray God however that such is not the case, and that you still are enabled to restore Mrs. Bond. There are surely some amongst the employees who have good homes, and who work to obtain the means of dressing, etc. – while poor Mrs. Bond toils for her daily bread, and to support a daughter afflicted with dreadful fits – but for her, Mrs. Bond could retire to the Widows Asylum, and there find a peaceful home for the remnant of her days.

I came here dear Sir, on a visit to my sister, to regain my health, having had an illness unto Death a few weeks ago. I have gone through so much since I last beheld your kind and benevolent countenance, troubled by the incessant clamor of applicants, yet beaming with generous sentiments and good will towards every one, and I came away wishing I could prove my gratitude to you and thinking I had secured the Mrs. Bond a permanent situation for years.

My husband Sen. Hartman Bache died Oct. 8th 1872, and left me so limited an income that I cannot, as I would, assist Mrs. Bond. In November of the same year I lose my brother Gen. George Meade, who was a good friend to Mrs. Bond, and at my sister’s request, gave her a letter to Dr. Linderman who at once received her in the Mint.

On one occasion, when a reduction of the employees was required, Mrs. B. was one of those discharged, but as soon as Dr. Linderman heard from me, that my brother’s influence had got her in (which h had forgotten), he restored her.

Oh! Dear Mr. Pollock if you possess the power to restore Mrs. Bond now, which I cannot doubt (for where could the Government find a man so capable as yourself), I implore you by the memory of my beloved brother (who revered and admired your character), to do so, and thus relieve her distress which affects me sensibly, her sister, who has been my friend and companion for more than 20 years, and to whose care and nursing in illness I owe (under Providence) my life, is in great tribulation about Mrs. Bond, and with me she entreats you to show this mercy to her unfortunate sister, and receive our grateful thanks for the same.

Yours truly,
Mrs. D.C. Bache

PS: If you favor me with an answer, which I cannot doubt, please direct to Mrs. Maria D.C. Bache, care of William Patterson, Esq., Perth Amboy, New Jersey.

[Response from Chief Coiner Snowden]

Mint of the United States at Philadelphia
Chief Coiner’s Department

Hon. James Pollock
Superintendent
August 5, 1874

Sir:
The grounds upon which Mrs. Bond was removed from the Mint, was owing to her entire inability to discharge the duties of the position which she held. Not that she was unwilling to do so, but from age and infirmity, she was unable to perform the work required.

The reduction of the force ordered from Washington left us no discretion in the matter, and in the painful discharge of duty thus forces upon us, we had to designate those who were least able to perform the services required of them

I sympathize very much with Mrs. Bond, as I know you do, and would have been very happy with yourself, if we could have found it consistent with our duty to allow her to remain.

As you very well know, all the ladies employed in the Mint are those whose necessities require them to labor, and no matter who might be removed, the argument that they had no other means of support might be used with the same force in each case.

Regretting the necessity of this, as well as the other removals, I am
Very respectfully,
Your obedient Servant
A. Loudoun Snowden, Coiner"

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

In other words...On your bike.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

In other words, thank you for working for us, now go die in utterly miserable poverty.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @RogerB for showing an example of the trials that employers and employees go through.

Out of curiosity can the age of Mrs. Bond be ascertained?

“Not that she was unwilling to do so, but from age and infirmity, she was unable to perform the work required.”

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the informative post.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, Job security based on merit and the ability to accomplish all the tasks required, what a concept

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 11:44AM

Hartman Bache mentioned in this letter as the late husband of the author, is a direct descendant of Benjamin Franklin, he is the Great Grandson of Benjamin Franklin, if his widow has no pull in this matter, times were dire indeed. Understandably Elizabeth Bond was unable to perform her duties any longer.

all around collector of many fine things

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 11:47AM

in other words,
    "Here is a quarter, call someone who cares"
    poor lady

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 1:43PM

I don't know the lady's age -- likely late 60s or early 70s. Her pay had been $1.75 per day. Did not see anything conclusive on Ancestry or city directories.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpro76 said:
    Hartman Bache mentioned in this letter as the late husband of the author, is a direct descendant of Benjamin Franklin, he is the Great Grandson of Benjamin Franklin, if his widow has no pull in this matter, times were dire indeed. Understandably Elizabeth Bond was unable to perform her duties any longer.

Director Linderman had ordered a reduction in force with the better employees specifically to be retained. This was also in line with a general government retrenchment.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 2:09PM

There was a terrible depression at that time. must of been terrible for that woman to be put out onto the street.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file