Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Gavelsnipe Question

gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of you who have used gavelsnipe for years, how close do you cut your bid placement and still get reliable sniping? I didn’t realize I had mine set for 20 seconds before auction close. I lost out on a tough card yesterday and watched the auction as it closed. It seemed like eternity as I watched my bid get run up and then topped before it closed. Too much time is left for others to react to my bid to legitimately top it or shill it with it set at 20 seconds.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not meant to be snarky, but if you were watching the auction, why use a snipe program at all for this particular item? Also, if the fashionable thing is for "everyone" to be sniping, what makes you think that your bid was being run up manually? Perhaps it was just that multiple snipers had higher bids set with 10 or 7 or 4 seconds to go, in which case it wouldn't have mattered where you set your own time to place the bid, as they would still be higher. Also, if it was indeed shill bidding, and I still lost out on the card, I would chalk it up to the shiller getting his just comeuppance, as they got stuck with it, and I would just move on.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Mine has been set to 3 seconds for 5 years and I have never had an issue.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

I use 7 seconds. I had a few fail inside 5 seconds in the long ago past, but 7 never misses.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had an issue at 3 seconds. Personally, I don't know why anybody bothers to bid so many days and hours before an auction end. However, it looks to me like BIN's are much more prevalent today than they were before I took a siesta from the hobby.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    This is not meant to be snarky, but if you were watching the auction, why use a snipe program at all for this particular item? Also, if the fashionable thing is for "everyone" to be sniping, what makes you think that your bid was being run up manually? Perhaps it was just that multiple snipers had higher bids set with 10 or 7 or 4 seconds to go, in which case it wouldn't have mattered where you set your own time to place the bid, as they would still be higher. Also, if it was indeed shill bidding, and I still lost out on the card, I would chalk it up to the shiller getting his just comeuppance, as they got stuck with it, and I would just move on.

I just happened to click on the link stating the auction was ending soon and arrived with about 30 seconds left. So I stayed and watched it close. That's why I had my snipe set at 20 seconds for years and never noticed. It wasn't until I happened to watch this particular auction that I realized the timeframe of my snipes. I'm not saying the item was shilled or only won by manual bids. I'm just saying that over hundreds to thousands of auctions, a 20 second bid exposure will put me at risk of this happening sometimes, even if it's a rare occurrence.

• Options

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll tighten up the timeframe accordingly.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Never been higher than 5 seconds

PackManInNC
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what I have it set - I too use Gavel.

I've done good enough with it.

The main reason I use? I set a price and move away. Takes all the emotion from my choice.

If I were to competitively bid?

I might now be living in a 55 gallon drum on the off ramp of Int10 and 1604.

Mike
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If "everyone" is sniping, and "no one" is competitively bidding, then I just don't see the point in obsessing over the times. If every auction for desirable items has multiple snipers, then the timing of the snipe, especially if you're just talking in a small variation in the number of seconds, is waaay less relevant than the amount of the snipe. In fact, one could argue that the earlier you place your snipe bid, you actually enable a slight advantage, as a bid for the exact same snipe amount from another bidder, even one second later, would not have top bid status.

2 or 3 or 5 or 10 snipers firing off bids within 20 seconds of each other, I bet the HIGHEST bid that is placed FIRST wins every time.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    If "everyone" is sniping, and "no one" is competitively bidding, then I just don't see the point in obsessing over the times. If every auction for desirable items has multiple snipers, then the timing of the snipe, especially if you're just talking in a small variation in the number of seconds, is waaay less relevant than the amount of the snipe. In fact, one could argue that the earlier you place your snipe bid, you actually enable a slight advantage, as a bid for the exact same snipe amount from another bidder, even one second later, would not have top bid status.

2 or 3 or 5 or 10 snipers firing off bids within 20 seconds of each other, I bet the HIGHEST bid that is placed FIRST wins every time.

Not everyone is using a sniping program, though. Not even close.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

3 seconds for me... my sniping service..uses multiple snipers I believe...

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

@countdouglas said:

I just happened to click on the link stating the auction was ending soon and arrived with about 30 seconds left. So I stayed and watched it close. That's why I had my snipe set at 20 seconds for years and never noticed. It wasn't until I happened to watch this particular auction that I realized the timeframe of my snipes. I'm not saying the item was shilled or only won by manual bids. I'm just saying that over hundreds to thousands of auctions, a 20 second bid exposure will put me at risk of this happening sometimes, even if it's a rare occurrence.

Sometimes I watch my snipe to see who the other crazy sniper is 😭😭😭😂😭