Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

extremely rare 1971 2p New Pence

How much would you say it's worth…

Comments

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you believe this is extremely rare?

• acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I have check in various location and e bay as well selling for $15,000

EXTREMELY RARE 1971 “ New Pence 2p Coin” Collector’s Item
    All 2p coins minted before 1982 say 'new pence', while those stamped after that date should say ‘two pence’. However, an early error means that a number of 2p coins from 1983 still show 'new pence', these coins with that year stamped on are normally worth several hundreds of pounds.

have one to sell? Sell it yourself
    Details about ⭐️EXTREMELY RARE 1971 “ New Pence 2p Coin” Collector’s Item ⭐️ Fleur de Iris....
    Popular 2 viewed per hour
    Seller information
    missmagdushka (53 Feedback score: 53)
    100% Positive Feedback
    Save this seller
    Contact seller
    See other items
    Item information
    Condition:
    --not specified

£11,000.00
    Buy it now | eBay!

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

They aren't SELLING for $15,000. They are actually selling for $2 or so. A person can ASK whatever he wants on Ebay, but what they actually SELL for is the believabilty factor.

While 2p coins are not uncommon, what makes this specific coin popular is the unique wording on it.

Rather than “two pence”, the coin says “new pence” on it – as all coins produced between 1971 and 1981 did.

The coin in question is from 1971, the year the new pence coins began being producted, and this gives it a special status.

OK so what your are saying, how am I going to find out, f this coin is valuable or not….

The rare 2p is listed for the whopping total sum of £4,958.47 on the auction site.

The Royal Mint website explains a little more about the unique nature of this coin.

“The United Kingdom 2p coin was introduced on 15 February 1971 with the creation of a new decimal currency system.

“The other two coins issued at this time were the 1/2p and 1p coins.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@acadien said:
    The rare 2p is listed for the whopping total sum of £4,958.47 on the auction site.

The Royal Mint website explains a little more about the unique nature of this coin.

“The United Kingdom 2p coin was introduced on 15 February 1971 with the creation of a new decimal currency system.

“The other two coins issued at this time were the 1/2p and 1p coins.

Offer the coin to the ebayer who listed it for 4958.47 pounds .

See what he will pay you for your coin .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@acadien said:
    EXTREMELY RARE 1971 “ New Pence 2p Coin” Collector’s Item
    All 2p coins minted before 1982 say 'new pence', while those stamped after that date should say ‘two pence’. However, an early error means that a number of 2p coins from 1983 still show 'new pence', these coins with that year stamped on are normally worth several hundreds of pounds.

So you are noting that the 1983 2p that say “New Pence” are errors and something rare and worth a few hundred pounds. OK.

Then why do you think your 1971 2p is extremely rare and worth thousands?

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Make sure about the actual DATE on the coin that some folks say is rare ... it's certainly not the 1971. Maybe there's aa 1983 that has a New Pence" reverse that could be somewhat scarce.

I look around a you are right, this is crazy what there asking on eBay. Its not worth much. Thank for saying so A+ to all. Thanks

Has Something to do with the way the wrote the above. TWO PENCE and the other version NEW PENCE.

I found the answer to all of this.

The original reverse of the coin, designed by Christopher Ironside, and used from 1971 to 2008, is the Badge of the Prince of Wales: a plume of ostrich feathers within a coronet, above the German motto ICH DIEN ("I serve"). The numeral "2" is written below the badge, and either NEW PENCE (1971–1981) or TWO PENCE (from 1982) is written above. However, a small number of 1983 "New Pence" coins exist. These coins are rather rare, and are considered collectors' items.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

The text that you posted clearly says that the error is the 1983 coin that incorrectly says "New pence".

"All 2p coins minted before 1982 say 'new pence', while those stamped after that date should say ‘two pence’. However, an early error means that a number of 2p coins from 1983 still show 'new pence'."

Why in the world did you think your 1971 two "New Pence" had any special value? I just don't get it..... :s

Sorry, it's my fault for opening the thread....

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

It is an outmoded coin so it is worth ..... ZERO PENCE!

all around collector of many fine things

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you do a search ebay.uk for the 1983 2 New Pence coin, many such similars to the O show up.

The 1983 mule is in fact quite scarce but not even that not of such value - perhaps 1500 USD or so on the top end.

The 1971? Yikes, well at least a bit of copper in it is perhaps the best that can be said.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

One shows being sold on Ebay for $14,500 but then again it was relisted for sale from the same seller so the transaction must have been canceled unless the seller miraculously had two very rare coins for sale.

Well I guest I got to exited at first and didn't do enough research, my apologie to all.

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

apparently not "exited" enough, eh?

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

According to my records I have 18 of them laying around here, most in a junk jar of GB decimal coins

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm

• Hi help why these coins are rare are 1971 not old and cost a lot

I believe your coin is either counterfeit, or the two pictures are not of the same coin. When the newer decimal coins were released, the reverse read "NEW PENCE". The "TWO PENCE" reverse was introduced about a decade later.

The confusion probably comes from the fact that in 1983 the Royal Mint struck some Two Pence coins that still read "NEW PENCE", where the regular coins of 1983 read "TWO PENCE". This coin is valuable and worth even worn but GENUINE several hundred dollars.

• FmbfFmbf Posts: 1

OK guys I want to clear this up. The first year 1971 "NEW PENCE" THE FIRST YEAR OF PRODUCTION. Produced between 1971 and 1982. This year 1971 the first year of this production run. Is considered exstreamely rare. Also the post 1982 dated 1983 and forward that have the old previous wording "NEW PENCE" ARE EXTREMELY RARE. Only heard of 1983's found with this particular error. 1972-1982 are not included to be a rare coin without any other known errors existing. These are the facts 💯 and hopefully clear up the mistaken confusion. People made IN ACCURATE PRESUMPTIONS. UNEDUCATED. There are stupid prices on many sites for coins not worth more than face value . These people putting 5k,10k, 50,k+ are really damaging the market people are becoming discouraged 😞 because of all the cons and scams. So many sites have these prices on damaged coins stating by mint error coins and should be illegal as it promotes false advertising. Why are there dumb people actually buying garbage!Stop!!!

• MaxfliMaxfli Posts: 39 ✭✭

@acadien said:
    How much would you say it's worth…

Two pence.

The 1971 Two Pence coin is NOT rare - it does read "New Pence".

• deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

The 1971 2 pence coin had a mintage of 1,454,856,250 coins. One would assume that there are still millions of them out there. Rare not likely at all.

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

The reason this type of coin shows up on eBay so often is because at one time the less sophisticated newspapers ran stories about the 1983 'New Pence'/'Two Pence' error, and 'the coin in your pocket might be worth £100s'. They still do it every now and then, like this https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/8196738/rare-2p-coins-revealed-worth-100-pocket/

Having read that type of story a few times, people forget the exact dates and errors, so eBay sellers are hoping to catch someone out and scam them out of a lot of money.

@Fmbf said:
    OK guys I want to clear this up. The first year 1971 "NEW PENCE" THE FIRST YEAR OF PRODUCTION. Produced between 1971 and 1982. This year 1971 the first year of this production run. Is considered exstreamely rare. 1972-1982 are not included to be a rare coin without any other known errors existing. These are the facts 💯 and hopefully clear up the mistaken confusion.

While I agree with the sentiment, this is also inaccurate. 1971 is very common. It was the year the coins were introduced and so they made a lot of them. 1972-1974, on the other hand, do not exist (except as proofs). Because they made so many 1971s, they didn't need to make any more until 1975.

@kössi said:
    Hi help why these coins are rare are 1971 not old and cost a lot

This is clearly not a real coin, since you couldn't have 'Two Pence' stamped on a coin pre-dating the Two Pence die.

@coinpro76 said:
    It is an outmoded coin so it is worth ..... ZERO PENCE!

These are current circulation coins, so are worth at least 2p. Some in good condition with mint lustre might be worth a little bit more than 2p. Anything you find in your change these days has a lot of use, while some on eBay have been heavily cleaned. You wouldn't be able to buy one for less than £1 because of the cost of shipping and selling fees.

Here you go acadien the coin that is worth the dollars.

Did you break your set for that one? I kept mine in set and was not brave enough....

Yes I did as it was the only way I could get it graded. I do have another complete in the folder. Wasn't too sure whether PCGS would include it into the circulated coin set or create another 1983 mint set for this coin. All this would depend on how many coins were minted by mistake.