Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Wow, 4 cents off MSRP!

https://www.steelcitycollectibles.com/i/1986-87-fleer-basketball-box---bbce?mc_cid=61b1576a4c&mc_eid=c965dcd183

First, I did not know this had an MSRP. Second, a whole 4 cents off! Now if I only had 42k to drop....

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even 4 cents off, exactly at 'MSRP'.

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Isn't the MSRP the Manufactures suggested retail price which would that be somewhere around $9.00 or around $.25 a pack? I don't think Fleer ever suggested they sell it for $41,000.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cards around that time were MSRP of $14.40

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2019 1:14PM

Based on BBCE's assessment, this appears it could end up back on the market by someone else with a simple NM-MT pack swap( i.e., add 1 bird pack, subtract 1 english to get correct sticker distribution expected). If it is then sent to BBCE as a fresh box, it possibly could obtain a non-frankenstein assessment. This would possibly increase the value $25-30k (based on last sales). Don't get any ideas, but this seems ripe for a scammer with a bankroll to try this.

• In 1987, my local baseball card store was selling these for $.05 a pack... My friend and I thought it was a better investment to pay $1.00 a pack for 1987 Topps baseball.

Makes me want to go jump off a bridge. :s:s:s

DesertIceSports.Com

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Not even 4 cents off, exactly at 'MSRP'.

Looks like they raised the price then! Ha! Was $41999.95 when i first saw it lol

• ReedBBCEReedBBCE Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Based on BBCE's assessment, this appears it could end up back on the market by someone else with a simple NM-MT pack swap( i.e., add 1 bird pack, subtract 1 english to get correct sticker distribution expected). If it is then sent to BBCE as a fresh box, it possibly could obtain a non-frankenstein assessment. This would possibly increase the value $25-30k (based on last sales). Don't get any ideas, but this seems ripe for a scammer with a bankroll to try this.

That's not quite true, as sticker count is only the first step to authenticate this particular product.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974 email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com

Facebook: bbcexchange
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4
  • hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    In 1987, my local baseball card store was selling these for $.05 a pack... My friend and I thought it was a better investment to pay $1.00 a pack for 1987 Topps baseball.

Makes me want to go jump off a bridge. :s:s:s

Yep. Around the same time I passed on two unopened cases for $40 each. I remember thinking I didn't want that junk.