Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts? Increase in no replies

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed an increase in your messages to others being ignored lately? Or is it just me? :'(:D

This can be on the forums or on eBay and mainly in terms of buying or selling.

Just in the last few weeks I’ve asked a few eBay sellers some questions (including if they could list a coin at a price they had just recently agreed to) that went unanswered. The same has happened on the sell side. People ask for a best price and then don’t reply to a better price (10%-20% off) or asking them to make an offer.

In terms of selling, are people that ask for a better price (on items with no best offer option) mainly just fishing for a huge discount?

Do you consider it necessary to reply, even with a simple “thanks, but I can’t do that”, if someone gives you a better price?

Comments

• Options

@BryceM said:

I see how it’s going to go. :D

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of people only surf the internet at work, not on their own time.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    A lot of people only surf the internet at work, not on their own time.

That is a potential reason but shouldn’t they be able to reply within a week (or at some point vs not ever replying again)?

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago My only thought was that the holidays interfere - some people take a lot of time off during the holidays.

Perhaps it will get a bit better starting today or next Monday/next week.

Some people only surf the internet while at work.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe many are in a holding pattern as the FUN Show is soon. Many are getting ready or waiting to see how the event goes.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @U1chicago My only thought was that the holidays interfere - some people take a lot of time off during the holidays.

Perhaps it will get a bit better starting today or next Monday/next week.

Some people only surf the internet while at work.

The Holiday Season could definitely be a big reason for what I’m noticing the past few weeks.
    Although I have been noticing more of this throughout the entire year.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Maybe many are in a holding pattern as the FUN Show is soon. Many are getting ready or waiting to see how the event goes.

I could see that being a reason for not bidding or holding off on purchases. However, it doesn’t explain not replying to a message or not selling something at an agreed upon price.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@Smudge said:

I could see that being a reason for not bidding or holding off on purchases. However, it doesn’t explain not replying to a message or not selling something at an agreed upon price.

True, distraction does not excuse bad manners.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine many are on vacation with all the holidays holding everything up.
    The rest are wankers.
    I have had a few more unanswered messages than usual as of late.
    I ALWAYS respond to offers on eBay, no matter how low, and I find that sellers who do not reply to offers or messages do not need my business. I started a list lol of sellers too busy to communicate.
    I have found that when people ask for additional photos of the holder itself, they have NEVER replied again or made a purchase. Strange.
    My accounts are all linked to my phone, so I can be notified and respond instantly, unless occupied.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

People are just not polite

color them idiots

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I imagine many are on vacation with all the holidays holding everything up.
    The rest are wankers.
    I have had a few more unanswered messages than usual as of late.
    I ALWAYS respond to offers on eBay, no matter how low, and I find that sellers who do not reply to offers or messages do not need my business. I started a list lol of sellers too busy to communicate.
    I have found that when people ask for additional photos of the holder itself, they have NEVER replied again or made a purchase. Strange.
    My accounts are all linked to my phone, so I can be notified and respond instantly, unless occupied.

I have noticed the same with many who ask for additional photos. It’s a fair request and I always add more photos. And then it seems those people just disappear.

And a reply doesn’t have to be instant (although I appreciate people like you who reply quickly), but replying within 48 hours (if it’s an eBay best offer) or within 2-3 business days in general should just be common courtesy.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2019 1:18PM

Edit: Double post
    Better than no reply though! :D

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s no excuse not replying to a message whether it’s on eBay or here. We get an email immediately from eBay or CU so it doesn’t make any difference where you are. Most people have a smartphone so replying is fast and easy. All you have to say is no thank you or that’s the best I can do. Why antagonize a potential customer?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was really hoping no one would have replied to you here just to watch your reaction but too late!

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I was really hoping no one would have replied to you here just to watch your reaction but too late!

It would have been something like this:
    :/
    :#
    :'(
    :s

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try to always respond. It's uncommon for me to not respond to an email, text, etc.

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Back to my original post:
    My problem seems to be with ****sending **** a message. A couple of hours after sending, I get this:
    "Your message couldn't be delivered to noreply@collectors.vanillaforums.com. Their inbox is full, or it's getting too much mail right now."

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2019 8:30AM

@nankraut said:
    Back to my original post:
    My problem seems to be with ****sending **** a message. A couple of hours after sending, I get this:
    "Your message couldn't be delivered to noreply@collectors.vanillaforums.com. Their inbox is full, or it's getting too much mail right now."

Try posting on their wall ....not your private message, but something like “I’m not able to send a message, can you please send me one?”

The “wall” is that activity box on someone’s profile page:

And this thread wasn’t directed at you nankraut. It’s just something I’ve noticed across many platforms.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try my best to respond, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few times, I received no replies to inquiries about coins that were for sale on the BST.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

what this world is coming to....

self centric idiots...........

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not experienced no reply to any discussion I have created. I find patience is helpful because everyone's headspace is different, our focus is varied, lifestyle, age and the time zone thing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file