Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

should I include these rough Mantles in a PSA bulk submission?

I am submitting 50-100 cards to PSA for grading that I hope to list on eBay. Will grading these rough Mantles enhance their sale price? Thanks.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they were mine, I'd include both the 60T in the sub. The others are so rough they would probably do just as well raw.

• Options

IMO, definitely the 1960 Topps and maybe the 60AS. The 59, 57 and 58AS would likely grade 1 and not bring very much raw or graded(those are about as rough as they come).

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    x2drich2000x2drich2000 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of them. The 60 Topps and 60 AS would be the only ones I would even consider, but I don't think it would be worth the time. I think both would likely get a 1, maybe a 2 on a good day. With that in mind, I think you're talking maybe a difference of $10-20 between a raw and graded card. By the time you factor in the grading fees, shipping, supplies, etc, you are adding about $10 to your cost. So is the difference of $10 or so worth your time and energy to get them graded?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cards will be authenticated. Some people will not buy raw fearing the cards may have been tampered with,

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I understand that the grading costs are high, but I'm thinking I'll make it up on an enhanced sales price. I'm thinking someone who wants to buy a rough Mantle like one of these, perhaps would like to have it encapsulated and would pay a higher price. And, if these were VG instead of rough, I think I would get them graded for sure.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. I understand that the grading costs are high, but I'm thinking I'll make it up on an enhanced sales price. I'm thinking someone who wants to buy a rough Mantle like one of these, perhaps would like to have it encapsulated and would pay a higher price. And, if these were VG instead of rough, I think I would get them graded for sure.

If you are doing a bulk sub, why not. Can't hurt and the most you are out is $8 a card. Looks like someone took target practice with their bb gun on that 59!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I always have a stack of “maybes” to get graded that I tap into when I need 1 or 2 more cards to hit the minimum on a special, bulk, or renewal. The 60 would go in the maybe pile. The AS would go in the maybe-maybe pile. The others would get put in pages (to avoid further damage, of course) and be destined for the back of the closet.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those cards are beautiful as is. No need to encapsulate them. They're meant to be held. The feel of cards is sometimes more important than grading and hard plastic.

Andy

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

You know, those cards are beautiful. They are meant to be held. Don't think I've ever seen lower grade Mantles than the first three.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with the 2 bottom cards - look darn nice.

I do think a Mantle card is a Mantle card tho.

I have one like this:

Mike