Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

With Baines induction who is next?

so with the surprise induction of Harold Baines who does this benefit down the line. Mattingly, Dale Murphy, maybe even a hit machine like Mark Grace?

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to Baseball Reference, Baines was #74 among Right Fielders in JAWS. Perhaps that means we should consider Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Lee, Roy Smalley, Fred Pfeffer, Anthony Rizzo, or Johnny Bassler. Yes, I know Ellsbury and Rizzo aren't eligible. Interestingly, #74s Fred Lindstrom and Don Sutton are already in the HoF.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

I think Lee Smith opened the door for John Franco to get in.

• Options

Smith is actually not a horrible choice. Better than, say, Hoffman. Not as good as Swindell would have been. I think Kerry Wood falls into the Eckersley category. I guess they both do. Is there a call for John Hiller? He got 11 votes in 1986, but that is again not disqualifying.

• Options

@vols1 said:

A distinct possibility.

Regarding Baines, I think his induction only opens the door for other DH’s, but it won’t give people like Will Clark or Joe Carter a chance.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Smith is actually not a horrible choice. Better than, say, Hoffman. Not as good as Swindell would have been. I think Kerry Wood falls into the Eckersley category. I guess they both do. Is there a call for John Hiller? He got 11 votes in 1986, but that is again not disqualifying.

Where did you pull Greg Swindell from in this conversation?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@88horsepower said:

@vols1 said:

Joe Carter a chance.

Love Joe Carter!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Love Joe Carter!

"Grrrrrrrrrr," says a Phillies fan.

Andy

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Surely the Greg Swindell mention is a joke

• Options

@88horsepower said:

@daltex said:

Where did you pull Greg Swindell from in this conversation?

Swindell is the number nine relief pitcher on this list (Smith number 16). https://baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_RP.shtml

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Really hoping "Moose" Mike Mussina finally gets in this year.....

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baines = Hall of Good

Mattingly and Murphy would have been better choices, and they don't belong.

If Harold Baines is in, Scott Rolen and Jim Edmond BOTH need to be in. I watched both for years, and their defense alone makes them better choices. Scott Rolen is the best defensive 3rd I've ever seen.

Shane

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Once Trammell got in, I figured it was only a matter of time before Sweet Lou got in as well?

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Once Trammell got in, I figured it was only a matter of time before Sweet Lou got in as well?

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    Scott Rolen is the best defensive 3rd I've ever seen.

I respectfully disagree, you obviously never saw the "Human Vacuum" Brooks Robinson.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a toddler when Brooks Robinson retired... Ever "seen" being the operative word.

However, since you brought him up, Brooks Robinson was absolutely great. Scott Rolen was right there with him. Brooks Robinson has the name recognition, but Rolen was just as spectacular, and probably had a better arm. Rolen had a cannon!

Shane