My 2019 New Year's Resolution For My 1961 Topps Master Set

Hello and Happy New Year to all. I would like to stay focused on my 1961 Topps Baseball Master set this year. For many years now I have been upgrading my PSA 8's to 9's and will post my progress throughout the year. So far it has been a fun but addictive endeavor. I remember when I first started out with the raw set and then decided to upgrade that set. Shortly thereafter, I went ahead and purchased only PSA 7's which I then upgraded to PSA 8's. Once I completed that set I decided to jump into the PSA 9's. I don't think I will go for the 10's....yet! I have slowly climbed up the registry list and sit proudly near the top. I need too many PSA 9's to begin a countdown. I am sure that between the high price star cards and some very difficult low pop commons it will be a very long time before I am finished. I have sold off one raw set, all the PSA 7's and currently selling my 8's that I have replaced. I hope you will enjoy my postings on my progress with this resolution and have a great new year with your collections. Phil

Comments

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    With the help of the recent ebay bucks and a seller who gave me an additional discount.

  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

    I love the 61 set. I've built it mostly raw. Keep posting your pickups! There's something I really like about the way the photos look like artwork.

    "Molon Labe"

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Thank you and hopefully I will another one coming soon. It is a classic and great set to view.

  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

    @pab1969 said:
    Thank you and hopefully I will another one coming soon. It is a classic and great set to view.

    I look forward to the updates! Keep us posted and have fun!

  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

    I love this set also.

    I can't imagine the high $ and difficulty in doing this in PSA 9.

    Best of luck. If you are married I hope you stay that way !!!! :)

    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • I just completed my set and I have 95% raw but do have PSA High Number Allstars. Last card I got for the set was the Mantle All Star PSA7 :) . Thanks and keep us updated!! :)

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @jay0791 said:
    I love this set also.

    I can't imagine the high $ and difficulty in doing this in PSA 9.

    Best of luck. If you are married I hope you stay that way !!!! :)

    Thanks. Right now the cards are pricier due to scarcity. I get reminded of my impulsive purchases every month when the credit card bill arrives. Luckily, my wife does not know much about my cards and we have separate bank accounts. I keep showing her my 1987 Topps commons and tell her they are my prized 61's just in case she decides to makes a move on me. : )

    @jonron42 said:
    I just completed my set and I have 95% raw but do have PSA High Number Allstars. Last card I got for the set was the Mantle All Star PSA7 :) . Thanks and keep us updated!! :)

    That is great. I started that way too and then purchased my first PSA 7 which started me down the road where I wanted the entire set graded too. I was always worried of dropping the raw cards or them getting damaged somehow.

    @NGS428 said:
    I look forward to the updates! Keep us posted and have fun!

    Thank you and will do.

  • Do you have the Mantle?

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @Sportscards1086 said:
    Do you have the Mantle?

    Not yet. Completing the set in all 8's the Mantle was the second to last card I acquired. I got a feeling it will be the same with the 9's.

  • @pab1969 said:

    @Sportscards1086 said:
    Do you have the Mantle?

    Not yet. Completing the set in all 8's the Mantle was the second to last card I acquired. I got a feeling it will be the same with the 9's.

    Big card in high grade. Good luck.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Thanks.

  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019 5:36PM

    Great set. I did the All Star subset in all PSA 9 and am currently working on the MVP subset.
    James

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Thanks James. I need 3 All stars (Mantle, Mays and Aaron) to complete that run. I need too many of the MVP's to list. Good luck completing that subset.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Recent PWCC purchase on another tough low pop common

  • brad31brad31 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

    Keep sharing. I love this set - so many stars and fun subsets. Your cards are beautiful and it is impressive to go after it in 9s. I am working on the HOF set in primarily 8.5 with some 8s and 9s thrown in. Mixing and matching PSA and SGC (even have an old BVG when they still had subcerts). Am about 40% done but lack focus to work just on the ‘61s. I admire your ability to focus on a set instead of being distracted by too many other cards you want too!! Will be fun to see your progress.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @brad31 said:
    Keep sharing. I love this set - so many stars and fun subsets. Your cards are beautiful and it is impressive to go after it in 9s. I am working on the HOF set in primarily 8.5 with some 8s and 9s thrown in. Mixing and matching PSA and SGC (even have an old BVG when they still had subcerts). Am about 40% done but lack focus to work just on the ‘61s. I admire your ability to focus on a set instead of being distracted by too many other cards you want too!! Will be fun to see your progress.

    Thanks! It is a great set and I wish you luck with yours. But you give me too much credit for having focus. I impulsively ended up buying a few cards I really don't need. Having ADD sucks when trying to finish a set.

  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

    I suffer from the same problem. I have too many different things started.

    Kris

    My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    With the help of the recent 8% eBay bucks.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Latest edition, another 8% eBay bucks purchase.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Latest edition. Won at auction with 2% ebay bucks all month.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Another tough low pop no 10's.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Finally spent all my eBay bucks and got a discount from the seller too.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Recent auction win, I was the only bidder too!

  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 4:57PM

    I have the set in 8 with a handful of 9s (including Sturdivant). My all time favorite set.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @markj111 said:
    I have the set in 8 with a handful of 9s (including Sturdivant). My all time favorite set.

    It is a great set. Those handful of nines you have will soon grow. Especially if you can pick them up for cheap. I am satisfied with getting nines now because many of them are actually tens in disguise.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Recent 4 sharp corners sale.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    World series MVP!

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Another classic Yankee infielder!

  • brad31brad31 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

    Love watching your progress on this set. Thanks for posting and congrats on the pick-up.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @brad31 said:
    Love watching your progress on this set. Thanks for posting and congrats on the pick-up.

    Thank you very much Brad31. When the time comes at the end of the year, I was thinking about mentioning 2 updates for my final post before starting anew in 2020. First, I will add up the total number of cards I purchased. Second, I will determine which league won overall in the purchases. My own warped all-star game. For example, as of today, the national league is crushing the American League 8 cards to 3. I know, it is a sickness.

  • brad31brad31 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

    I appreciate the passion and am working on a '61 HOF set myself. My latest pickup is the Mays MVP.

    Looks like the AL needs to do well against the bullpen.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @brad31 said:
    I appreciate the passion and am working on a '61 HOF set myself. My latest pickup is the Mays MVP.

    Looks like the AL needs to do well against the bullpen.

    Good luck with your set and nice pick up with the Mays MVP.

  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Geez Phil - that's just plain sweeeeeet!

    Hope you don't mind - had to clean that thing up - it's a beauty.

    In the world of 61Ts - ya just don't see centering like that every day buddy.

    Mike



  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @Stone193 said:
    Geez Phil - that's just plain sweeeeeet!

    Hope you don't mind - had to clean that thing up - it's a beauty.

    In the world of 61Ts - ya just don't see centering like that every day buddy.

    WOW! Thank you very much Mike. Feel free to clean up anytime. My outdated Ipad takes crappy photos. The Kubek is a beauty. Thanks again.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    4 sharpcorners sale purchase. Rarer checklist variation. Low pop, 1 of 10 and none higher!

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    4 sharpcorners flash sale purchase. Low pop, 1 of 10 and none higher!

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Another 4sharpcorners sale
    purchase.

  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 2:13PM

    Ya know Phil - in the world of 61s?

    The centering is incredible buddy.

    Mike



  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @Stone193 said:
    Ya know Phil - in the world of 61s?

    The centering is incredible buddy.

    Thanks Mike!!

  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

    Love the 61's, one of my favorite sets! Gorgeous 9s.

    "Molon Labe"

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    @SidePocket said:
    Love the 61's, one of my favorite sets! Gorgeous 9s.

    Thank you.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Correction this card was a 4sharpcorners purchase. The recent McDevitt was Probstein with help of eBay bucks.

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

    Recent Probstein auction and tough short print.

Sign In or Register to comment.