Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading newer or lower priced cards

With grading costs not likely to go below $8 in the future, are folks having newer or lower priced cards graded? Examples: I have several early 80’s cards of Rose, Ryan, Seaver, Schmidt, Brett, Young, Henderson, etc. (1981 - 1986) that are in great condition. From my experience, I have had difficulty determining card grades prior to submitting, even after looking at under 10X lens (coming back 8.5-10). Obviously ecstatic when 10’s come back, but lose money when below that. Any other ideas out there?

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

If this is for your personal collection, I would grade whichever cards you want to have protected further. If you are purely pulling out cards to draw a profit from, you could always try Greg Morris or another outlet to sell your cards raw (sportlots / COMC) that don't meet your strictest assessments or requirements to grade yourself.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I have duplicates, so I would probably keep a 10, and sell the others. Didn’t think the sports outlets would be interested in early 80’s cards, seeing them buying more ungraded vintage. Even when considering selling, I think the cost to grade and sell a card is almost $17 ($8 grade, $3 shipping/insurance each way to grading co., $3.50 shipping, $3.00 EBay fees, mailing supplies). Thanks for the suggestions.

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

I think you'll see the market shrink for "Junk Wax"
    meaning thier will be less high grades for sale, so you see a bit more demand and pricing to reflect that,
    But Rose, Ryan and Henderson have a very strong Hobby, Yes quite a dip from a 10 to a 9 on the secondary market.
    What I have been doing lately is sending out some prospects cards, EX an 86 Tops Sandberg out of a box break, that is comparable to what I feel is grade worthy, If it comes back solid, the whole batch will go off in the next order
    For Modern Cards, given the volatility of the market, everything is a Sell for me and the High grades sell very Well.
    and with the quality control measure, with some basic inspection and quality checks , High Grades are far easier to come by
    than Pre 95 cards

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@wadevl said:
    I think you'll see the market shrink for "Junk Wax"
    meaning thier will be less high grades for sale, so you see a bit more demand and pricing to reflect that,
    But Rose, Ryan and Henderson have a very strong Hobby, Yes quite a dip from a 10 to a 9 on the secondary market.
    What I have been doing lately is sending out some prospects cards, EX an 86 Tops Sandberg out of a box break, that is comparable to what I feel is grade worthy, If it comes back solid, the whole batch will go off in the next order
    For Modern Cards, given the volatility of the market, everything is a Sell for me and the High grades sell very Well.
    and with the quality control measure, with some basic inspection and quality checks , High Grades are far easier to come by
    than Pre 95 cards

Good idea - I think I will send in a few and see what I get back. Happy New Year and thanks for the suggestion