Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dealers who post market reports, blogs and articles

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks to all those dealers who post market reports, articles and blogs. Besides it being entertaining, I have found some nuggets of information that I would have never known. It is also good business---most my purchases come from dealers who take the time to post this information. Good way to increase traffic to their sites.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I will try one ....

2018 Online Coin Business Report

Two thousand eighteen has been by far the best year for my online coin business. I imaged all of the rest of my personal collection to become inventory, except my personal box of 20. I sent in raw major error coins to be certified for the first time, 9 to PCGS and 66 to NGC. Almost all graded higher than expected. All went into inventory. I am up to over 300 Certified major error coins and many raws ones as well. I have been buying very aggressively this year.

Coins with exceptional eye appeal seem to sell the best. Unique coins also sell very well. These do so well for me, that is now only what I buy. I will even pay up for it in order to get super eye appealing inventory. I scan and cherrypick the internet hourly to bring my clients some of the best coins for the price range that I deal in.

One of the biggest factors to my online coin business success is that all of my coins are professionally photographed. High-End coin photography is the single most important aspect to an online coin business, IMO.

Looking forward to 2019. Going in full throttle wanting to buy, buy, buy.

Everyone have a Happy New Year, Chris from CTF Error Coins

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes Which dealers do you follow?

I generally like Legend, DWN, CRO, Penny Lady and others.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FSF said:
    While they make for good entertainment, the problem with them is that so many are not really all that candid and the market is either strong or just about to take off like a rocket. Legend does a good job IMO and talks about issues that many others don't. Let's face it, you're reading advice from people who have their livelihoods dependent on the reader believing that coins are always doing well or will do so very soon if it happens to be in a period of dormancy.

First, keep in mind that the reports are free---that may impact how demanding you are. Your post is pretty narrow regarding whether dealers believe the market is strong or not. My OP talk about market reports, articles and blogs. For instance, Doug Winter has so many articles and blogs that contain information that is nowhere else to be found. Legend goes well beyond the direction of the market not only in its Market Reports but also Hot Topics. At the end of the day, everyone is free to agree or disagree with these reports, but my OP was to share my appreciation for the dealers who take the time to post their views.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are often interesting to read and sometimes contain useful information. They are the same as company "newsletters" with the best prototype possibly being Dave Bowers' Rare Coin Review.

However, collectors should remember that these things are part of a business marketing plan, and the authors' goals are to influence your buying patterns and encourage patronizing their business.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018 5:23PM

Many times interesting, professional other times just a glorified self serving marketing letter (rag) touting their stuff and how u should only buy from them lol.

The ones I really dislike have insulting comments / ignorant generalizations about other dealers, TPG(S), eBay sellers, crybaby behavior about a show, or somebody’s material calling it widgets or dreck like somehow the authors knowitall attitude is the worlds capital of coinland. These I do get a few laughs from however. BUT - Good newsletter authors don’t trash other dealers.

NN Coinmarket has unbiased informative market reports every week. It is written by Richard Giedroyc a really good coin market analyst. These first thing I look at in NN. It’s comprenhisive Dollar Market is a quick, handy retail pricing sheet for pricing material at shows.

I also like the market reports in the CDN which are extensive, informative, and have given me better understanding of pricing and market dynamics. I look at CPG, CW, NN, and TPG MV in analyzing data for accurate retail pricing. CoinFacts app a must.

I strongly recommend these 2 above (NN and CDN) plus the Pcgs 3000, Kitco to gauge market direction.

Harry Laibstains book on Certified Commems written in 1995 I still use as it is a great work on data on this subject IMO.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file