Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Burglary of office of Leu Numismatik: List of stolen items

From NCIC:

NCIC has received the following email and request for distribution:

The offices 0f Leu Numismatik,com fell victim to burglary on Christmas Eve. The thieves stole parts of Web Auction 6 (9 December 2018), which were currently being prepared for post Christmas-shipment.

A full list of all 586 stolen lot numbers including pictures and short descriptions can be
found here: https://leunumismatik.com/9382hf3wj98fcwq0u721sdcc

Please look at the stolen lots. Reselling thieved ancient coins is not easy – should you be offered any of the missing items or be able to provide any other relevant information, we kindly ask you to contact us or the police immediately at:

Kantonspolizei Zürich
Farid Salem
Bahnhofsplatz 12
8400 Winterthur
Schweiz
+41 52 268 51 61
safa@kapo.zh.ch

Leu Numismatik AG

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well damn. One of my winning lots is there, too.

Pretty big score. Will be tough to liquidate without either raising flags or losing numismatic value.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's truly awful :( I hope Yves will be alright.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping surveillance cameras were capturing them and touch dna is located. Interpol needs to get it on.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, that's terrible !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

As terrible as this is, there are open questions we need to ask.
    where was security?
    was it a B&E or a grab and run?
    and it appears to me there were no real high end items stolen... perhaps a amateur job?
    or a insider tip? again, where was security?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Bump to keep thread visible.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018 9:09AM

What a disaster. I doubt the gold lots will survive. :(

I hope the dirtbag(s) get caught.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have an update on this?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColinCMR said:
    Does anybody have an update on this?

I got a refund on my lot almost immediately. Haven't heard an update on the stolen coins and their last email was December 31st:

Dear Sir or Madam,

We are contacting you to let you know that our offices have, sadly, fallen victim to burglary on Christmas Eve. The thieves stole parts of our Web Auction 6 (9 December 2018), which were being prepared for post Christmas-shipment. The burglary is currently under investigation by the Swiss authorities, who are doing their best to crack the case. Nonetheless, we would like to urge you to have a look at the stolen lots - a full list including pictures and short descriptions can be be found here: Leu Web Auction 6 - stolen lots, and pictures of ten higher value and easily recognizable coins have been attached to this Newsletter. Reselling thieved ancient coins is not easy – should you encounter any of the missing items in the near or distant future or be able to provide any other relevant information, we kindly ask you to contact us immediately.

Last but not least, we would also like to thank you for all the sympathetic and supportive reactions and messages – they are much appreciated.

2019 – New Year, New Luck!

Notwithstanding these sad events, we are eagerly preparing for the upcoming year, which at Leu starts with Web Auction 7 (24 February 2019), featuring a selection of 1500 lots from 2500 years of history. Please note that the consignment deadline for Web Auction 7 is 10 January 2019.

What is more, we are already working on our spring sale, Leu Auction 4, which takes place on 25 May in Zürich, Switzerland. The interest amongst our customers is great, and Leu 4 will hence be our largest floor sale thus far, this much is already clear. Should you consider parting from important individual pieces or whole collections, this would be a perfect opportunity to have your treasures offered in our much-praised catalogues. Contact us now and we will happily advise you via email, phone or by personal appointment. The consignment deadline for Auction 4 is 10 March 2019.

We wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

With best regards,
    Yves Gunzenreiner, Lars Rutten, Piotr Tomczyk