Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Egyptian 1948 note for war in Palestine

tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
edited December 24, 2018 6:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I believe this is an Egyptian bond from the 1940s, or donation receipt, for people to support the war in Palestine. Does anyone know if there are reproductions floating around? I bought this one off eBay. The note's denomination is 10 pounds.

I’m interested in learning if these notes were bonds that got paid back or were they donation receipts? I’ve read descriptions online stating both.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

My belief having heard of them before is that they were a form of donation receipt that funded the liberation of Palestine.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the Google translation and let us know what it says.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I tried the Google Translate app on my phone, and it doesn't recognize the curved text or ornate script. The only translation I could get was "Second Distribution" (التوزيع الثاني), which appears in black ink on both sides of the bond/note.