Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Reprint cards

What's everyone's opinion on reprint cards?
I have noticed there are some on eBay. They are also listed as reprints.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will on occasion purchase an official Topps reprint, i.e the Cards Your Mom Threw Out from a few years back, and similar issues, to be a placeholder in my album when assembling raw sets. I then buy a PSA version to keep in the holder and not crack out.

For example, my raw 1984 Topps football set has an Elway reprint in the album, and I own a PSA 8 version also. My 1968 baseball set has a Mantle reprint and a Manager's Dream reprint in the album, but I also own a PSA 6 Mantle and PSA 9 Manager's Dream.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should add, for my purposes, they have to have the original backs, also. Some of the Topps reprints have other things printed on the backs than the stat lines. I enjoy building raw sets, but can't stand to have blank spaces in the albums. Some vintage cards just are not cost effective to crack out, and some are highly susceptible to chicanery in raw form, hence my tolerance of a reprint in its place while I own a PSA version in my collection, satisfying my OCD. I have peace of mind knowing my set is complete, but I can still flip through the pages and interact with the cards that way, also, and not have gaps in the set.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of the late-'70s/early-'80s Renata Galasso reprint sets. Those were quality.

Arthur

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I'm a big fan of the late-'70s/early-'80s Renata Galasso reprint sets. Those were quality.

Arthur

I've got their T3 reprint set and it's great.

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

I think for cards you can never afford, nothing wrong with a re-print as long as you aren't trying to pass them off as legitimate. I have a custom re-print of the 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano for this reason...

photo UNG-1948_LEAF_50_ROCKY_GRAZIANO_CUSTOM_REPRINT-FR-SM.jpg

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally despise reprint cards and Topps made a horrible decision to ever print them. If they were going to print them, they needed to clearly display "reprint" or clearly define the date of printing. I hate looking through ebay auctions and have every third card be a reprint of the original card. They sell for nothing, are worth nothing and just cause confusion.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Not a Fan

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Rather have an original "beater" than a pristine reprint.

"Molon Labe"

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I agree with olb31 that they should have some sort of mark noting that they are a reprint.

PackManInNC