Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 1971 Cent, most unusual and odd

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

this cent was part of a small collection I purchased recently.
I am wondering what a good explanation could be on how this could have happened.
the peeled off part is 0.026 mm thick, very thin and is still attached to the main body, but barely. it has not started to break so far.
a faulty planchet perhaps?
My theory is this: the coin was struck but the planchet was previously peeled and already loose when struck.
unfortunately I am unable to show the other part of the obverse side in the images. I am afraid if I bend it back, it might break.
any ideas??
Thanks for your input

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I suspect a split flan that was gently (manually) bent into the position shown. I have forwarded this thread to a friend who knows a lot about such things. Will advise of his opinion.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I agree, Gene. I think that the displaced piece peeled a little back as the die came up from the planchet. Then, after striking, someone/something bent it up to almost vertical. I don't think that the coin spent much, if any, time in the wild.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, very unusual, I never seen one like it before !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find in an unusual error. Like the way the detail is faint on the planchet below the peel away. Maybe the feeder tongue hit it in a weird way. That's a keeper and we would like to know more when you learn it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they call that a clamshell lamination which has been pulled back (too bad).

If you post on the US Coins forum they will know right away.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard back from my friend, He believes it is a clam shell error which is a delamination of the planchet that was pried open. Do not bend it back because it will likely break off.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thank you all so far for your input and efforts.
    What is a Clam shell error? I have never heard that expression.
    Is it perhaps that delamination did take place before the planchet was struck but was very tight, perhaps held tight by the rim, and then the "wing" became loose? Something must have pried it open or loose.
    presently it is "resting" in a little box with some gauze protecting it until I decide what to do with it. It does not fit into my interests.
    Just wondering if it would be worth a good bottle of scotch, like an 18 year old SM.??? :p

• Options

One more question about this Cent:
    How would a TPG slab this coin if sent for grading?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

They must have custom deep dish slabs for special applications. It's just plastic.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall