Home Sports Talk

Detroit Tigers

fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I have heard of teams rebuilding for years however every time Avila makes a move he seems to take players from the junk pile.These players who come to Detroit know that it’s only temporary .Why get rid of Nick?
He is young and very talented.He has made trades and has picked up nothing in most cases that were not going to make it on thief original teams.Nothing but a bunch of middle infielders.Us Tiger fans will be just as the Lions fans have had to endure for years NOTHING as long as Big Al is around.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 8:58AM

Detroit had Verlander, David Price, Max Scherzer, Miggy, JD Martinez, Kinsler, Victor Martinez, Rick Porcello etc and won zero titles with that core. They let their farm system go to hell during that time trying to win “now”. They literally mortgaged the farm. Now they are paying the price.

FYI they have stock piled a ton of young pitchers and draft picks ( which led to more pitchers) through trades. Their major league roster of pitchers is young and their minor league pitching is rated near the top in baseball. No one knows if these young pitchers will pan out but it’s better then it’s been in decades. I actually think they did well in trades considering the actual “trade value” of some of the above players. (Other teams taking on bloated salaries or expiring contracts) They would have got zero for some of their stars in some cases if they didn’t trade them as they would have left for free agency regardless.

They reportedly wanted a kings randsom for “Nick” during the winter meetings.

The good news for Tiger Fans is that they play in worst division in baseball and K.C., Chicago and Minnesota are all rebuilding as well.

Yes it could be worse. You could be a Lions fan instead

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Ilitch gone, dark days for many years.

@Coinstartled said:

I don’t blame him for trying to buy a title before he died. It was his money to blow. Now that he’s making hot and readies in hell he might of gone a different path upon reflection.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

I don’t blame him for trying to buy a title before he died. It was his money to blow. Now that he’s making hot and readies in hell he might of gone a different path upon reflection.

m

Its either feast or famine

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Detroit had Verlander, David Price, Max Scherzer, Miggy, JD Martinez, Kinsler, Victor Martinez, Rick Porcello etc and won zero titles with that core. They let their farm system go to hell during that time trying to win “now”. They literally mortgaged the farm. Now they are paying the price.

Yes it could be worse. You could be a Lions fan instead

m

It still blows my mind that that team didn’t bring home a World Series title. The curse of Bobby Layne expired so no idea what’s up with the Lions 😂

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

m

Ilitch was great. A true fan on the team and a serious minor league player. Immediately after buying the Tigers he brought back Ernie.

Heaven is where he resides.

edited December 15, 2018 8:10PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

m

Ilitch was great. A true fan on the team and a serious minor league player. Immediately after buying the Tigers he brought back Ernie.

Heaven is where he resides.

You’ve obviously never had one of his pizzas. Plus pizza ovens and hell makes more sense

FWIW my brother actually worked at Little Caesars store #1 at the corner of Venoy and Cherry Hill in Garden City, Mi in the 70’s

m

Home of the first K-mart store!

Ate a Little Caesars square shooter pizza about once a week during high school. 12 mile and Evergreen if memory serves. It was tasty and hot and filling for two bucks. No goat cheese and pineapple like today. Good old mozzarella and pepperoni.

Probably has declined since then though.

edited December 15, 2018 8:37PM

That KMart was on Cherry Hill and Wayne Rd down the street ; ) Good call though!

Remember the $1 KMart subs on the blue light specials? Or the bag of ham sandwiches?

Yes back in the day Little Caesers was a life saver. Pizza Pizza

As the owner of the Red Wings Illich got all that parades he could desire. It’s a shame that he couldn’t realize the same as baseball champions. His true love

m

edited December 16, 2018 2:39AM

Ham sandwiches were 3 for a buck. Frozen cokes were good as long as you knew when to toss them. K-mart had $2 gym shoes. We got a pair each September for phys ed.

Arches still hurt. :/

Winning the World series is tough. Checkbooks and luck are rarely abundant enough.