Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Regrade vs Reholder - A couple of questions.

While I generally don't like the idea of losing an OGH, I am starting to lean towards having a nice clean modern Gold Shield holder with a TrueView is more appealing. Right or wrong, I do have a couple of questions related to regrade vs reholder.

With respect to regrade, is my assumption that if a coin if for example PCGS MS64, that grade is 'locked in' as a minimum and that on the regrade it cannot come back lower, say as an MS63...it could only be regraded at current grade or higher? I like the Gold Shield/TrueView but would not want to risk a grade point or two on certain coins.

As to the reholder, is it correct that the coin will simply be reslabbed at the current grade and the cert number will not change? I ask, because I'm not sure I would like an old cert number, say 4123456 (not a real cert number, just an example) on a modern Gold Shield holder which should have something like 85123456 (again, not a real cert number).

Thanks/Jeff

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

RECONSIDERATION™ is a service from PCGS that allows you to submit your coins for regrading without the risk of a potential crack out if the coin does not receive an upgrade.
    Why Reconsideration?

• There's no risk of losing your original labeling if your coin does not upgrade
    • An increase of a plus grade could significantly increase the value of your coin
    • Add new services, like TrueView & Variety Attributions, to your old coins
    • You only pay the 'Guarantee Premium' if your coin upgrades by 1 point or more
    • Certification number remains the same
      https://www.pcgs.com/Reconsideration

Reholders are just that...same grade, same certification number, new label and holder.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just went through a reholder. As stated above just a change in the slab. Certification number stayed the same and took three days from arrival to departure at our hosts CA location.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do they do a trueview if the coin is not removed from the original holder? Would I only get the trueview if it upgraded and was cracked out of the original holder?

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:
    How do they do a trueview if the coin is not removed from the original holder? Would I only get the trueview if it upgraded and was cracked out of the original holder?

This was my thought exactly. If you don't get an upgrade with reconsideration you aren't getting the TrueView. It seems regrade is the best option as long as the original grade cannot be downgraded if you want the TrueView. Reholder could get you the TrueView but if you have OCD like me having an OGH cert number on a new Gold Shield holder would just seem out of place.

Jeff

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought all coins were photographed (of late) but have to pay extra to have it listed as a TV/Gold Shield.

Older holders unsure. Maybe @PCGSPhoto can provide input?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 10:30AM

Yes, a coin can downgrade on regrade! Opps...correcting after having memory jarred below! Coin is not cracked under reconsideration unless it upgrades.
    Older Holders with 7 digit serial numbers have a 0 added in front...alias if the number is 7777777 it will become 07777777.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I THINK, not sure, that they can do trueviews on slabbed Coins now, whether or not it is opened up.

A lot of coins I hunt for are already in PCGS slabs, and I submit under reholder and attribution.

I have only tried reconsideration one time, successfully! My eyes are trained for variety recognition not grading, so buying slabbed coins takes a lot of the pain away from submissions (raw coins).

You MIGHT be able to request a new cert number before reholder service, but I do not honestly know. I speculate customer service might be able to make that happen.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people are confusing regrade and reconsideration. Reconsideration stays in the same slab unless it upgrades. Regrade gets cracked no matter what and gets regraded and can indeed be graded lower.

"REGRADE: For a coin previously graded by PCGS you feel might be worthy of a higher grade, submit coin in the holder. The coin will be removed from the PCGS holder and regraded. If the coin grades lower, the terms of the PCGS guarantee will apply. For full discloser of the PCGS guarantee, visit PCGS.com/Guarantee."

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

To complicate matters further, you may request that an OGH coin stay in the OGH and simply have TrueView images shot through the holder. This has to be requested beforehand and agreed to by PCGS, but they have done this for me in the past and simply charge the TrueView cost. Here is an example of a coin in an OGH that was shot as a TrueView by PCGS and returned to me in the original OGH-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom - given the quality of the pics you take, I'm surprised that you'd request this service!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the compliment. I had raw coins going to PCGS for grading and thought I would see what the TrueView service shot through a slab would look like so this went in on a separate invoice.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the OGH you should be able to request a reholder with the TV and the old insert.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    with the OGH you should be able to request a reholder with the TV and the old insert.

That’s not a current option and would really lead to confusion on what generation slab it is.
    Also the slab counterfeiters would have a field day trying to create value with old green labels in a newer generation slab.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 1:52PM

Yeah! Put an old label up for auction of a good coin and watch the Chinese counterfeiters bid it through the roof. :s

@10000lakes said:

@keets said:

That’s not a current option and would really lead to confusion on what generation slab it is.
    Also the slab counterfeiters would have a field day trying to create value with old green labels in a newer generation slab.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to budget for all the plastic --- you might have a few dollars left for real coins !

The obsession some have with plastic holders escapes my feeble mind.... :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file