Home Sports Talk
Options

Patrick Mahomes is human after all.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least he was last night. He looked good in the first half but faded and then fizzled when it counted the most. I think it was a good learning experience for him.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if his defense played just a little defense KC would have won

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 3:50PM

i don't think it's a fair assessment to blame the defense.

Mahomes does so many things right. he stepped out of a few tackles last night where i thought for sure he'd be going down. the second TD pass was nothing short of slowed down amazement. he is very poised, the game doesn't seem to speed up too much for him. if he has a weakness it is a tendency to run back out of the pocket when pressured, but he's so quick he can outrun the rushers.

15 games isn't a lot of film and the Chiefs haven't played from behind much, mainly because of Mahomes. the Teams in the West will have to draft because of the way he plays, will have to scheme because of how he plays. it will be a long off-season for them, and busy.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It was a good learning experience for him."

It was a great entertaining moment for us!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    i don't think it's a fair assessment to blame the defense.

Mahomes does so many things right. he stepped out of a few tackles last night where i thought for sure he'd be going down. the second TD pass was nothing short of slowed down amazement. he is very poised, the game doesn't seem to speed up too much for him. if he has a weakness it is a tendency to run back out of the pocket when pressured, but he's so quick he can outrun the rushers.

15 games isn't a lot of film and the Chiefs haven't played from behind much, mainly because of Mahomes. the Teams in the West will have to draft because of the way he plays, will have to scheme because of how he plays. it will be a long off-season for them, and busy.

The defense was completely to blame. They could NOT protect a 14 pt lead........MULTIPLE TIMES!!!!!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Offensive line and defensive secondary are the liabilities, with an emphasis on defensive secondary.
    Chiefs secondary makes any QB look good.
    Where have you gone Deron Cherry?

• Options

the defense can't score points.

• Options

@keets said:
    the defense can't score points.

No.......they are SUPPOSED to keep the other team from scoring. KC scored enough to win if they had a defense.

• Options

keets- Trust me, its the defense that has been the major reason for the 3 losses.
    They scored 51 and it wasn't enough to beat the Rams. 40 wasn't enough to beat the Pats.
    And when you're ahead 28-14 the D should be able to step up and seal the victory.

I've seen every game. While the defensive line can step up and make plays from time to time, the
    secondary never does. They panic under pressure and commit a holding or interference penalty constantly.
    They are terrible at covering receivers.

• Options

Totally agree. I wish we (Dallas) had your offense to go with our defense. B)

@Darin said:
    keets- Trust me, its the defense that has been the major reason for the 3 losses.
    They scored 51 and it wasn't enough to beat the Rams. 40 wasn't enough to beat the Pats.
    And when you're ahead 28-14 the D should be able to step up and seal the victory.

I've seen every game. While the defensive line can step up and make plays from time to time, the
    secondary never does. They panic under pressure and commit a holding or interference penalty constantly.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2018 5:03AM

everyone loves stats around here, so if you use them to prove points they can't be ignored when they work against you.

prior to that game, KC had averaged around 36 points on offense while their defense had allowed 27 points per game. the defense held true at 29 points, the "above average" coming on the win-or-overtime risk that the Chargers took. on offense, the Chiefs fell short, so all they had to do was be "average" for themselves and they would have won. actually, they didn't even have to score a TD, they just needed to make a few more first downs and move close enough for a Field Goal to seal things.

all we have been hearing about, and rightfully so, is how good Mahones is and how easily the Chiefs score. they were at home against their Division rival and they couldn't seal the deal, couldn't move the ball on offense when they needed to. in addition to scoring points the offense can control the tempo of the game and run out the clock.

that game was actually "textbook" for what the NFL has become. all too often the superior Team gets a lead and then tries not to lose. back in the day when the Cowboys had trouble with the Browns, Tom Landry said they had a "rubber band" defense that would bend but not break. they gave up a lot of yards between the 20's but then things got difficult. that has morphed into the RedZone style of play and the "prevent defense" that everyone uses now.

most Teams and most games employ one strategy --- keep the game close and then whoever has the ball when time runs out will win. it is also why Teams almost always "defer" when they win the coin toss. the calculation with offensive possessions is that they'll end with the ball at the end of the fourth quarter to be able to either run the clock out or score to win. back in the 60's - 70's - 80's if a Team won the coin toss they almost always took the kickoff.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets, I agree with your textbook comment, it is true but I think your being hard on Mahomes a little bit, a QB can’t lead his team to score every drive, they score enough points to put the team in a good position to win pretty much every game. Teams employ punters for a reason and field a defense to help the offense. Many teams offenses don’t help the Defense to win when they hold teams but in my opinion this isn’t the case with KC, their D has holes

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 7:24AM

Tremendous game. Mahomes was pretty far down the list if one must blame the loss on someone or something. Actually he was near the bottom if not the bottom. I’m not sure what he could have learned from that loss that he already didn’t know. Which is they have to score a ton of points in order to win. 28 points and up by 14 at home with less then four minutes to play against a team that hasn’t beat them in forever and without Melvin Gordon and Kennan Allen should have been enough. Dang that was a long sentence. The only fault one could possibly place on him is that he can’t play defense back as well. Slacker

Ive watched every Chargers game this year. Their D has been very stout of late. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

welcome, Mark, and just to be sure about a few things(for everyone) --- the Chargers do indeed have one of the better Defenses in the NFL and I am not blaming the loss on Mahomes. the premise of the thread and my comments about him should bear that out if you actually read what i posted.

the thing is that with less than four minutes left the Chiefs offense stalled. all they really needed was 1-2 first downs. if we credit the QB(on every Team, not just the Chiefs) when they win, he must bear the bulk of the blame when they lose. i think it was a good learning experience for Mahomes and the coaching staff.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    welcome, Mark, and just to be sure about a few things(for everyone) --- the Chargers do indeed have one of the better Defenses in the NFL and I am not blaming the loss on Mahomes. the premise of the thread and my comments about him should bear that out if you actually read what i posted.

the thing is that with less than four minutes left the Chiefs offense stalled. all they really needed was 1-2 first downs. if we credit the QB(on every Team, not just the Chiefs) when they win, he must bear the bulk of the blame when they lose. i think it was a good learning experience for Mahomes and the coaching staff.

if that dude didn't smack his old lady around and get the boot they get those first downs

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 8:54AM

@keets said:

Hi Al, I did read what you wrote and my reading comprehension is just fine.

You realize that KC had the ball exactly twice in the 4th quarter right? The first drive Mahomes led them on an epic 8 minute drive that led to a touch down. It put them up 28-14.

Their second drive of the 4th quarter went like this:

Chargers kick off and Kansas City commits a 10 yard blocking in the back penalty which puts the ball at the 10 yard line

First down they run Williams. He loses 3 yards

Second down Mahomes completes a WR screen to Hill. It gains 5 yards

Third down Mahomes gets sacked by two Chargers.

4th down they punt

Kansas City never sees the ball again. So no not a teachable learning experience for Mahomes. There will be many throughout his career. This just ain’t one of them.

Please be kind enough to fax us all an apology for this thread.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

This thread kind of makes me realize there's an extra amount of pressure on Mahomes knowing
    before games start that his offense is going to have to score a bunch of points to win the game.

Not the same for Trubisky and some of the other young QB's who have good defenses to rely on.
    Hope the Chiefs fix some of the problems in the offseason.

Welcome back Mark!

• Options

@keets said:
    everyone loves stats around here, so if you use them to prove points they can't be ignored when they work against you.

prior to that game, KC had averaged around 36 points on offense while their defense had allowed 27 points per game. the defense held true at 29 points, the "above average" coming on the win-or-overtime risk that the Chargers took. on offense, the Chiefs fell short, so all they had to do was be "average" for themselves and they would have won. actually, they didn't even have to score a TD, they just needed to make a few more first downs and move close enough for a Field Goal to seal things.

all we have been hearing about, and rightfully so, is how good Mahones is and how easily the Chiefs score. they were at home against their Division rival and they couldn't seal the deal, couldn't move the ball on offense when they needed to. in addition to scoring points the offense can control the tempo of the game and run out the clock.

that game was actually "textbook" for what the NFL has become. all too often the superior Team gets a lead and then tries not to lose. back in the day when the Cowboys had trouble with the Browns, Tom Landry said they had a "rubber band" defense that would bend but not break. they gave up a lot of yards between the 20's but then things got difficult. that has morphed into the RedZone style of play and the "prevent defense" that everyone uses now.

most Teams and most games employ one strategy --- keep the game close and then whoever has the ball when time runs out will win. it is also why Teams almost always "defer" when they win the coin toss. the calculation with offensive possessions is that they'll end with the ball at the end of the fourth quarter to be able to either run the clock out or score to win. back in the 60's - 70's - 80's if a Team won the coin toss they almost always took the kickoff.

I can't believe that nobody else sees the flawed humor in this statement. Just because KC's defense averages giving up 27 points a game....it's OK that the only gave 29!! It's Mahomes fault because he didn't get the offense their regular 36!!!!!

GIVE ME A BREAK! That has to be the stupidest logic I have EVER heard!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

Dimeman- We will trade all of our (Chiefs) defensive backs straight up for your defensive backs.
    I don't know the names of any of yours off the top of my head but they have to be better than the Chiefs have now.LOL.

• Options

@Darin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

Dimeman- We will trade all of our (Chiefs) defensive backs straight up for your defensive backs.
    I don't know the names of any of yours off the top of my head but they have to be better than the Chiefs have now.LOL.

Sorry - no go. Our DB's are really good. KC's couldn't cover me and I'm 71 and overweight! ;)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

When your offense scores 28 points and hands you a 14-point lead late in the 4th quarter, it's the not the QB's fault when you lose.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.