Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Why don't more people post on the Buy sell, trade forums

alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 14, 2018 5:58PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

**** I am sorry I accidentally posted on this forum when I meant to post on the US coin forum

Most people have extra coins they no longer need or have special items that are looking for. Why not post on the buy, sell, trade forums? I have done many successful sells and buys. Best of all I have made many great friendships with many.

The buy, sell, trade forums are a great resource and I highly recommend them.

Gary

Comments

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2018 11:51AM

I remember years ago ( at least a decade) there was so much activity here you would be on page 2 within an hour or 2. Many coins sold. Several reasons I suppose. Some refuse to take a loss, want to much. Some want to pay auction results for premium coins. Maybe just less interest. Think I've covered every scenario 🤓

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree.
    I have a lot I could post, and will someday when I have time.
    I also do a share of ‘direct sales ‘ to forum members without listing 😊 - great guys I have done business with many times, that started with an initial bst post.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, seen a lot less items for sale !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I been buying all I can afford, I just hardly ever sell. My only mission is to buy buy buy! Fill that safe up.

• HistmanHistman Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I buy only silver (unless it is a piece I need for my collection) and especially if it is foreign. I love sites like this one over Ebay, but I'm like everyone else, I don't want to pay a ton over spot just to stack it. If it isn't within 5% of spot, I don't buy. Or another reason for me is when it is offered, there is so much of it, I can't afford to purchase it. Well..that is unless I make the wife and kids go hungry.

• zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I don't know what it was like on here years ago but I wonder the same. I have to admit that I don't know if I would trade here. I've only traded with one individual but I had a previous business relationship. I wish there was such a thing as a trading "clearinghouse". Trading without knowing someone seems like a crazy risk.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

I am sorry I accidentally posted on this forum when I meant to post on the US coin forum

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2018 7:21PM

Been here 13 years and don't think I've sold one coin on the BST. Some guys have all the luck.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Ive been out of town for awhile and will start posting again.

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure used to be the place to go for your want list... Lately, I have posted several WTB posts and have gotten no responses. That never used to happen... Just my opinion..

• HistmanHistman Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Been here 13 years and don't think I've sold one coin on the BST. Some guys have all the luck.

Interesting. I've been here maybe a little over 2 years and I've made multiple transactions with different folks. I do the same on a couple of other sites. Only been stung once for $20.00

@Histman said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Interesting. I've been here maybe a little over 2 years and I've made multiple transactions with different folks. I do the same on a couple of other sites. Only been stung once for $20.00

Must be luck. Wanna sell my coins ?

• zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

I've had one offer for a trade which was basically $500 in book value for my $3,800 in auction history value. LOL.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding selling here:
    Coins that are priced right or just below auction records typically sell. That with some patience and being a little flexible will get it done. Don't ship until your payment has cleared (especially with a new buyer). Sticking to these rules you can move on with your collecting priorities and avoid being scammed.

Pricing power lives here: No 15, 20, 25, 30 percent buyer's premiums. Both sides win.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is reasonably priced and the seller is flexible it will sell. Most perspective buyers will not pay retail prices unless the coin is very special. Auction records are helpful but sellers seem to forget that EBay charges 10% and HA and SB auction prices include the buyers 20% premium and do not adjust accordingly.

I completely ignore the seller “I’m taking offers” without a price. Ten years ago when the market was stronger that may have worked.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the cost to sell here vs elsewhere it seems like a no-brainer to try here first. If you're a new buyer or seller it would be expected that you might pay or ship first. Not everyone feels obligated to be a wholesaler to dealers/other members.

• VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I think many sellers are mostly in the business of selling coins, not hobbyists.

@VicPortland said:
    I think many sellers are mostly in the business of selling coins, not hobbyists.

To some degree, yes. Ive been able to add to my core collection and narrow my interests over the years. That leads to the ability to sell off portions that I dont have an interest in. Lately Ive had little interest in coins, with house projects and family planning taking majority of my attention. Whats odd is coins are my livelihood, not quite as rewarding working with coins and maintaining my own collections and staying interested and involved with local clubs.

Oddly I feel like I'm defending myself.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VicPortland said:

True, but I expect that to OP was directed to members here, some of whom are dealers and many who are not.

• mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭

I have used the BST on and off for years with mixed results. When I have posted a WTB, I usually get someone trying to sell me a coin for a ridiculous price. I can think of a couple of posters who do this. When I have sold a coin on the BST I have run into a few nervous nellies who wonder why they haven't received their coin yet. One year I sent some coins Priority Mail during the Christmas season. The buyer was in a panic when he didn't receive the item immediately. One time I sold a large 90% silver lot. I counted the coins over and over again before shipping them. The buyer claimed the lot was short when he received it. It wasn't, but I sent him what he requested. When I try to sell a coin on the BST my imaging is not always the best. I try to price it right from the outset. Even when I do that, someone always wants to buy it for half of what I asked. Finally, I have listed a few high end coins at a fair price. I can think of one coin in particular. When I received no response on the BST, I sold the coin to a prominent dealer for more than what I had offered it for on the BST.

I have made some great "coin contacts" on the BST. Generally, when I have a Standing Liberty Quarter that I have replaced in my registry set, I contact a dealer I know and sell my old coin to him. He knows the quality of the coins I sell and knows that my grading and assessment of the coin is usually spot on. He pays strong for what I sell him.

edited December 16, 2018 7:43AM

@VicPortland said:

...to be fair and honest, we hobbyists/ sellers still have to buy them, in order to sell them.

I think selling a few makes a hobbyist a better collector. That's what turned me into a lousy dealer. :smiley:

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought and sold many coins on the bst. In the past 2 years I have seen very little to buy and most of the time never even get an offer on coins I have for sale. Often sell the coins for more at shows to dealers and dont have to worry about shipping and PayPal fees.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used bst in the past with great success with our circle of trust. I will return! Been too busy lately with my Wife's remodeling our house. :/

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

@mightyhunter said:
    I have used the BST on and off for years with mixed results. When I have posted a WTB, I usually get someone trying to sell me a coin for a ridiculous price.

Yes indeed, the ridiculous price bug isn't limited to Ebay.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think two things sell on the BST: 1) coins people need—price is not an issue and 2) coins people don’t need, but are priced below market. Many times fairly priced stuff just languishes.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Because of its randomness.
    It's nice to have, but is of limited utility for buying or selling.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought many coins on the BST without any problems. Don't forget that it's free and you have nothing to lose as long as you have payment in hand before you ship.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• For me it has worked nicely so far, but I am not a hardcore collector. Example, recently traded some US Presidential Dollars with JedM, just to fill a set of them with P and D only.

For dealing with higher value stuff I could see how there might be room for more skepticism.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if TDN sells his stash on BST, it will draw more interest :o

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm finding the BST to be more and more like Sleepy Hollow.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Just sold a few more things on BST.
    Easy.

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever RYK, Boosibri or CharlotteDude put a gold coin on BST it sells in about 15 minutes...because it's fairly priced and an A coin...

When someone buys a coin at auction...bumps up the price they paid by 25%...and puts their C coin up on the BST there is no surprise it sits...

The buyers on the BST are sophisticated collectors...give them top quality coins at fair prices and they will snap them up...

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plenty of quality coins on BST regardless of what several posters have stated. All sorts, different kinds and grades. Interesting. Not as much as before, but maybe that is due to the market in general.

I also think that many believe they should pay what a dealer pays to acquire a coin on BST....this might be a factor when considering many of the comments above. In some cases it might work, but if you aren’t a dealer, and you don’t have those relationships, you shouldn’t be upset if you can’t buy at those prices. Heck, I wish I could buy at the prices guys in B&M shops can...If someone buys a coin at auction and slaps 25% on it, it’s their business. If you wanted it at the auction price, you should have bid in the auction. You shouldn’t judge them for 1) making it available or 2) trying to make a profit 3) how long something sits. I’ve sold many a coin at my asking price two weeks after I’ve listed it. One must always judge what a fair price is, not what a “rip” is....

I will say that if I get a good price on a coin, I sell it at a good price, but I won’t sell it below what I paid for it, unless I’m ready to do that. So, the silly offers 35% back of bid often don’t get responded to, or will simply be politely declined. And they waste everyone’s time. I also will say that I have purchased many coins on BST, often with large risks. And several buyers on BST have reported being burned by taking chances on relative unknown posters in the past. It is what it is.

If anyone ever has a question about anything I’m selling, I’m more than happy to answer it. If anyone wants references, I will always oblige. If I have room to move price on a coin, I often will, especially for folks I have established relationships with. I, too, often ask what a best price is....and when offered it, it’s play or pass, not ask again.

Just please don’t ask a seller to sell a coin 35% back of bid....sorry for the rant.

Cheers,
    Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

We live in a free country. A seller can charge whatever he wants for anything. Buyers have multiple options when they see a coin they’re interested in. If the coin is nice but nothing special and is priced too highly I will typically just pass. If i see something I’m interested in I’ll contact the seller and typically we’ll be able to consummate a deal.

Buyers often times have complete knowledge of a coins history via Coinfacts or the internet. Somebody reselling an okay coin that he/she bought 2 months ago at an auction with a 25% premium is typically not going to have much success on the BST. Most of the dealers I work with when selling a coin they recently bought at auction will point out the coins history and will attempt to justify why they are selling the same coin at a higher price.