Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know what this is?

MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2018 5:08PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I am new here so forgive me if the links to the pics don't work correctly.
I have this coin I received in a collection and have no clue what it is. It says Philipp on it and I can't make out much else. I have searched for information but haven't found any, I have not seen other coins that look like it. Any help with a name, year, origin or general value would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
links to pics:
https://pastepic.xyz/image/0FqWX
https://pastepic.xyz/image/0FxoI

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2018 5:45PM

Probably Sicily, under Spanish Rule. The King should under be Fillippo III (1598-1621), also known as Phillipp or Felipe. Possibly it could be his son, Fillipo IV (1621-1665). The domination is possibly one Grano.

This is not an area that I know a ton about, but I think I am close. I would be happy for more knowledgeable persons to chime in, or even to correct me.

• Options
    MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

After reading your thoughts I looked a little farther into it with this new information.
    Here's what I found: MESSINA FILIPPO III (1598-1621) 4 Tarì 1612. I believe it's a 1612 based off of what looks like an IF on the back by the eagle. The 1610's look like they have a D on it. I am researching more but I greatly appreciate the help.

• Options

Trouble is, the 4 TARI is a silver coin, and the coin in the photo looks to be a Bronze.

The Grano is a Bronze or Copper.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

My images are usually off-color so I'll bet tat is the case here and the coin is silver colored.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 10:03AM

@Insider2 said:
    My images are usually off-color so I'll bet tat is the case here and the coin is silver colored.

I understand what you are saying there. One should probably insist on coin size, coin weight and coin color all spelled out in the first post.

But I learned a bit about the Coins of Sicily, including what the inscriptions on the coin should be if it were on a regular, fully sized and full struck flan. I also learned a bit about the Spanish Netherlands too, which was my first guess. So I learned something too.