Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beautiful Tab Toned Coins

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2018 12:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is one of the most amazing tab toned coins I've run across so far.

I found it on Larry Shepherd's site but it is not currently in any of the few top Registry Sets I looked through. Any one know where it is now?

Any other colorful tab toned coins?

http://www.simcocoins.com/simco-customer-jl-achieves-1-2-time-pcgs-commemorative-50-piece-type-set/#prettyPhoto[gallery6364]/

I did find it on PCGS CoinFacts as PCGS 36174725 MS68, but the current image seems to have a bit darker greens on the obverse and less overall warmth than the Simco photo (an earlier CoinFacts photo?).

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/36174725

Of note, the TrueView seems to be yet another image also as PCGS 36174725 MS68, with darker obverse greens and an overall darker reverse.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 12, 2018 9:41AM

@Realone said:
    Why do you call them tab toned coins, did you see them tone in what they were stored in?

The ring pattern on the obverse looks like tab toning given the width of the toning and the two breaks positioned 180 degrees from each other. A similar pattern exists on many Classic Commems that toned in the tab original holder. Take a look at PCGS CoinFacts for more coins like this.

While a number of these coins have been seen toned in the original holder, I doubt most coins that have been described as tab toned have been observed by the describer while in the tab holders.

Is your question regarding all coins described this way without an original holder, or this one specifically?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:
    Can you please provide a photo of a tab holder or whatever it might be called for exact clarification.

There is an example in this thread:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/898797/ok-we-have-seen-a-lot-of-nice-commems-lets-narrow-it-down-to-the-original-tab-toned-examples-from

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

The coin is beautiful and it would not surprise me when that coin went to auction, if it made the front cover of the catalog. As far as any color shifts being lighter or darker with the Simco photos on the site when compared to trueviews—In that respect with Simco’s juicing and tweaking of photos, there are quite noticeable discrepencies. Great awesome A+ colorful coins that he sells with steep prices and the photos may be off than when the coin is in-hand. If anyone has a couple minutes, go ahead and visit the Simco website and compare and contrast some of his photos with the same coins PCGS Trueviews. The results may be enlightening.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@csanotes said:
    The coin is beautiful and it would not surprise me when that coin went to auction, if it made the front cover of the catalog. As far as any color shifts being lighter or darker with the Simco photos on the site when compared to trueviews—In that respect with Simco’s juicing and tweaking of photos, there are quite noticeable discrepencies. Great awesome A+ colorful coins that he sells with steep prices and the photos may be off than when the coin is in-hand. If anyone has a couple minutes, go ahead and visit the Simco website and compare and contrast some of his photos with the same coins PCGS Trueviews. The results may be enlightening.

I've noticed this as well.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this. I've seen this toning pattern once or twice before on commems and was curious how it got to be this way. How common is it to find commems with toning?

• Options

Tab toning reasonably common in general, but may be rare for individual issues or looks. Do some searches on popular auction sites like the bay for a look. There's about 11 on the bay, 1 on Heritage and 0 on Great Collections right now.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2018 10:41PM

Interesting observation about the photos. I clicked around the site and found the following.

Here's the same cert number on the PCGS site:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/35366122

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tab toning reasonably common in general, but may be rare for individual issues or looks.

I was actually looking at some Heritage commems and my wifey strolled by and was amazed at some of the coins. she asked about the toning, how it got on the coins in the circular pattern with the small circle in the middle. I did a search on "tab toned commem" and started looking at some links. much to my surprise I learned an interesting fact --- only about 12 commems from the series were shipped in the tab holders.

I haven't checked to verify, but I'm sure there are members who could tell us what the coins are.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not particularly colorful, but a very nice coin (IMO) from my collection, with much better luster than the TV indicates:

• Options

@Justacommeman , that Antietam reverse is off the charts pretty! The Peter Max specimen. :)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2020 3:16PM

@keets

I’m doing this by memory so there is my disclaimer

The 1925 Stone Mountain was shipped in different methods but a Christmas Card with a coin insert was one of the ways it was distributed. ( some Washington- Carvers were shipped this way as well)

The Oregon 26-S was the first commem that I’m aware that was shipped in a card board insert

Besides the Oregon’s the following were all distributed mainly in cardboard inserts:

Notice how many were from the middle to late 30’s

Wisconsin
    Bay Bridge
    Robinson
    New Rochelle
    Antietam
    Long Island
    York
    Delaware
    Norfolk
    Roanoke
    Lynchburg
    Albany
    Hudson
    Spanish Trail
    San Diego
    Columbia
    Elgin
    Gettysburg
    Rhode Island

Some Boone’s, Maryland’s , BTW’s, Texas and Arkansas’s were distributed in cardboard holders of sort

mark

@cj thank you

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    @keets

The 1925 Stone Mountain was shipped in different methods but a Christmas Card with a coin insert was one of the ways it was distributed. ( some Washington- Carvers were shipped this way as well)

The Oregon 26-S was the first commem that I’m aware that was shipped in a card board insert

Besides the Oregon’s the following were all distributed mainly in cardboard inserts:

Wisconsin
    Bay Bridge
    Robinson
    New Rochelle
    Antietam
    Long Island
    York
    Delaware
    Norfolk
    Roanoke
    Lynchburg
    Albany
    Hudson
    Spanish Trail
    San Diego
    Columbia
    Elgin
    Gettysburg
    Rhode Island

Some Boone’s, Maryland’s , BTW’s, Texas and Arkansas’s were distributed in cardboard holders of sort

mark

@cj thank you

Interesting. I can't recall ever seeing a colorful Spanish Trail commem. Maybe its cardboard insert was more inert.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2020 5:24PM

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:
    @keets

Wisconsin
    Bay Bridge
    Robinson
    New Rochelle
    Antietam
    Long Island
    York
    Delaware
    Norfolk
    Roanoke
    Lynchburg
    Albany
    Hudson
    Spanish Trail
    San Diego
    Columbia
    Elgin
    Gettysburg
    Rhode Island

mark

@cj thank you

Interesting. I can't recall ever seeing a colorful Spanish Trail commem. Maybe its cardboard insert was more inert.

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:
    @keets

Wisconsin
    Bay Bridge
    Robinson
    New Rochelle
    Antietam
    Long Island
    York
    Delaware
    Norfolk
    Roanoke
    Lynchburg
    Albany
    Hudson
    Spanish Trail
    San Diego
    Columbia
    Elgin
    Gettysburg
    Rhode Island

mark

@cj thank you

Some were mailed in plain paper envelopes and some in 6 coin cardboard inserts. The same manufacture for Elgin’s cardboard inserts made them for Spanish Trails as well. Elgin’s are hard to find excessively toned or colorful as well so your point has legs

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2021 7:28AM

Thread Revival

It looks like the CoinFacts photo above has become the new TrueView with a different cert number at the same MS68 grade. Here are the two TrueViiews:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/38966969

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:
    Three of my Peace Dollars that exhibit interesting toning patterns.

The first coin was probably firmly taped to a piece of cardboard.
    The second coin may have once had a sales promotion sticker on both sides.
    The third coin ... ?

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file