Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This one I beleave has no chrome.1949 canadien nickel

This one if you agree that its without chrome. Is it not mention anywhere. It also NSF and the A in Gratia is pointing at a denticle.. Did anyone heard about this. TK

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

ALL 1949 nickels were no-chrome. They were all 100% nickel. There also was none of the SF and NSF differences for the year (which were due to die polishing. The SF & NSF varieties are only applicable to Eliz coins, since it's about a bra or dress shoulder strap.

• Options
    acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Excellent explanation, thank you very much for doing so. I am wishing you all the best. A+

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    (which were due to die polishing.)

Syl, I do believe that the differences in the I are definitely caused by die polishing.
    However, I also believe that the maple leaf distance to the rim, which determines far or near, is not a cause of die polishing. Nor is SF or NSF. these were part of the design, purposely or not, solidly embedded when these nickels were struck.
    Personally I do believe that all 4 versions were purposely issued. Later on in time the I-marker was discovered which allowed easier identification of the SF or NO SF.
    However, I might be wrong as I am not all that coin-technically knowledgeable.(i.e. the way coins become coins. Just know the basics)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Die polishing wouldn't remove part of the serifs. The deep, incuse design of the letters or digits in the working dies wouldn't be affected. The shallow designs, such as waves in front of the dollar canoes are easily taken out with excess polishing. I am far far far removed from being much more than an interested beginner as far as nickels go .. I'm a Vicky cent guy.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for trying, its appreciated.
    Just recently I sent more than 100 Vicky cents to ICCS, many of them 58 and 59s , also others . Also lots of other interesting ones. had a chat with Brian before I sent it. however, they are still not "with the times".

Today is the first day of the rest of my life