Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will PCGS true view a counterfeit?

JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a coin I know is genuine but am concerned an unscrupulous buyer might try and switch sending in a known counterfeit and claiming it was my coin. If they take a picture of the coin submitted then I couldn't get scammed.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I have a coin I know is genuine but am concerned an unscrupulous buyer might try and switch sending in a known counterfeit and claiming it was my coin. If they take a picture of the coin submitted then I couldn't get scammed.

How do you know your coin is genuine?

If you are suspicious of the buyer then find another buyer.

If you post your pics here then you/we will have a time/date of the coin and if it altered in the future then we will ALL know. Pics please.

• Options

Doesn't matter I know. The buyer needs to know. Everybody is an honest buyer until they're not. Posting a picture does no good, I have pictures. I am looking for unquestionable documentation.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odd question. Why would the buyer send a fake coin in if they buy a real one from you? They could just claim what you sold was a fake, and return the fake to you... no need to send to pcgs, etc. Buyers really have all the power on ebay. But to answer your question, yes, they take trueviews of fakes, but no, they do not reveal them to the public. I have an Omega high relief counterfeit that was sent to pcgs before it was determined to be an omega, and I am told there are trueviews of it, but they will not release them, unfortunately.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not following you ? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

And welcome to the forum :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited December 10, 2018 8:04AM

I always try and cover worst case scenario. I would require direct returns to remain in sealed holder but submitted coins have to be removed. I am thinking ebay when I normally would not but I have a seller promo capping seller fee at $10. I'm tempted to take the bait. Thanks jwitten question answered.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 8:20AM

To answer the title of the thread, PCGS will not TrueView a counterfeit they don't slab. When PCGS has discovered a counterfeit that was previously slabbed, it is decertified after which, any TrueViews will no longer be available.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    To answer the title of the thread, PCGS will not TrueView a counterfeit they don't slab. When PCGS has discovered a counterfeit that was previously slabbed, it is decertified after which, any TrueViews will no longer be available.

I've been told they do indeed take trueview quality pictures of each fake that comes through, but it is just for internal use only.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don't you submit and get a TruView before you sell it? that would be good documentation, and might increase sale value if it is as good as you feel it is.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@Zoins said:

I've been told they do indeed take trueview quality pictures of each fake that comes through, but it is just for internal use only.

This is correct.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 8:52AM

Probably splitting hairs here, but I consider a TrueView to be one with the TrueView background saying check the website to verify certification.

I typically call the CoinFacts photos a "CoinFacts photo" even if the actual photo of the coin may be the same. Internal reference photos would be similar to me.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Could you please explain why the seller sending a counterfeit to PCGS would help them scam you? It appears I'm not the only one confused how this helps the buyer.

• Options

I know it's a long shot scenario but buyer sends in a fake not my coin to pcgs buyer says it is my coin then files for a ebay refund. Then burden is on me to show a different coin. That would not be that difficult but don't want the hassle. I am probably on heighten alert since just this morning ebay pulled an auction on a Morgan. Message said currency violation. I called and the best case the customer service figured someone reported as counterfeit.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand your concerns, but won't your photos on eBay show what you were selling? As others have said, they don't need to send to PCGS to pull a scam like you are afraid of. They just need to file a SNAD complaint with eBay and return a different coin to you. If your photos vs. what they returned don't protect you, I don't think TrueViews would, either.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this is a hypothetical scenario... Any which way you look at it, if the value is significant there is always small claims court or higher to achieve a resolution if the transactional contract is not honored by either parties. Depends on how much $ and time one is willing to expend.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the rules seem to state, PCGS will photograph any coin they certify and put in a holder. Since they are an authentication company, they should NEVER intentionally certify and holder a counterfeit. Therefore, they will never intentionally photograph a counterfeit.

Better if they would drive a nail through a fake!

If you want photos for record keeping purposes, why not do it yourself or avail yourself of the several members who offer excellent photos at modest prices.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I always try and cover worst case scenario.

You should not be in retail as most of the public is honest.

Of course there are scammers like in any filed, but to treat all you customers as potential crooks is over the top, IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file