Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1966 Kahn's Wieners Baseball - Help Needed

timber09timber09 Posts: 2
edited December 8, 2018 5:37PM in PSA Set Registry Forum

Hello out there -
I have been lurking the forums for awhile - trying to learn all I can as I embark on the next chapter in my collecting life. 2018 was my first year with a membership to PSA. Some wins and some losses along the way but a lot more satisfaction in my vintage collection.
Which brings me to my questions as I have little/no experience with hand-cut or food issued cards. I picked up the attached three cards in a collection purchase a while back and have no idea what I should do with them. I read through the hand-cut section of the PSA site and I believe that the best I could hope for is an authentic grade for cards in this cut condition. Any advice/insight/information is certainly appreciated.
My general questions are as follows:
Could any of these potentially get a numeric grade? (Not asking about what that grade would be just wondering at what point a number is assigned instead of "authentic").
Should a person "clean up" hand cut cards and trim as best as possible or is it better to leave as is?
Or are these cards just better left in raw condition?

Thank you in advance for any/all help you can provide - this newbie is thankful for the insight.

Projects - some more aggressively than others
Baseball (all Topps) - 1962, 1972, 1973 and 1975
Hockey - 1980/81 Topps unscratched

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? - welcome - :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents...it appears that whoever made the initial trims of the 3 cards you posted, did so in such a fashion as to relegate these to the authentic pile forever. The bad cuts are (IMO) way too extreme to hope for even a PSA 1 grade. I think you'd be wasting your $$ or free gradings on these. Then again, you may well get a grader that would give them a 1 or 2 grade, but you still have cards that have little or no value once slabbed. Making additional cuts would not benefit you.

As for collecting...decide on your challenge and try to go for already slabbed cards that fit your budget, search for lots, It will save you both $$ and time. Sending cards in will take a lot of time and the results can be frustrating. What you view as a PSA 7, 8, or 9, can, and will oftentimes come back with a lesser grade, or the dreaded qualifier, such as OC, MK or worse, "evidence of trim". Buying slabbed cards will save you a lot of headaches...believe me!!

BTW, the avatar you see is what was once the 16th best 1955 Topps collection. Took me some time to put it together and I built the display case. It was mostly PSA 8s, about 80+% as memory serves. I sold the set at a nice profit and used the $$ to pay off a modest mortgage. Nice to get my deed!!

GL, shop wisely!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

Those look to be "Authentic" to me. I would trim them to improve their eye appeal but wouldn't bother sending them in for grading.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set