Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990-91 Hoops Mark Jackson with the Menendez Brothers - Gone Viral

rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
edited December 8, 2018 10:22AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The sold prices for these have gone crazy recently. Apparently, some TV station aired a segment recently on Mark Jackson's 1990-91 Hoops card #205 after they realized that the Menendez Brothers were shown in the front row of his card and that this game photo was after the brothers did what they did.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1990-91+hoops+mark+jackson+menendez+brothers+205&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=1990-91+hoops+menendez+brothers&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

Comments

• rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

My Mark Jackson card has now been put in my collection, in a plastic sleeve, behind my graded Billy Ripken F Face. pic.twitter.com/lNkPbcWT5C

— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) December 8, 2018
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I'm curious to know how many cards there are out there with someone famous or notorious in the background/seats. Besides this one and of course the famous 1994 Pinnacle 288 Sylvain Turgeon With Young Patrick Kane sitting front row on the glass, does anyone know of more cards like this?

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

These things are on fire!!

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 4:32PM

CNN/Bleacher Report get in on the action. I assume this’ll drive it up even more.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809849-lyle-erik-menendez-photographed-on-former-knicks-pg-mark-jacksons-hoops-card

Good question about other notorious people - Aaron Hernandez comes to mind, but he was arrested too quickly (probably) for anything like this.

Jim

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad OJ wasn't at the game as well. Then you might have a "killer" of a card.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

The people paying the money that these are selling for are going to be disappointed with what they will be worth when the 10 million made drops the price to a quarter, ala Jose Uribe

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • JewVolJewVol Posts: 110 ✭✭

Sold one BIN on ebay for 24.99. Was listed less than an hour lol.

• @miwlvrn said:
    Now I'm curious to know how many cards there are out there with someone famous or notorious in the background/seats. Besides this one and of course the famous 1994 Pinnacle 288 Sylvain Turgeon With Young Patrick Kane sitting front row on the glass, does anyone know of more cards like this?

I heard that President Bush is in the crowd on a Derek Jeter card....

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone is going to try to get the M boys to sign it by sending it to the prison they're in.

edited December 10, 2018 6:59PM

I listed one a couple days ago, with a title that did not mention the murder or anything like that. But it was pulled by ebay tonight. Here is the message from ebay:

" After reviewing your account, we've had to take the following action:

• Some or all of your listings may have been removed. A list of any removed items will be listed further down in this email.
    • We have credited all associated fees except for the final value fee for your listing(s).

You listed an item affiliated with a known murderer. eBay does not allow items that were owned by or affiliated with many murderers and serial killers. While we appreciate that you have chosen to utilize our site, we must ask that you please not relist in this case.

Affiliated with means items that are directly associated with the person. This can include (but is not limited to) objects like photographs, paintings, action figures, flags, sculptures, pins, books authored by the person, items they have owned, etc.

If you have any concerns or questions, click "Help & Contact" at the top of most eBay pages.

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay "

There have been a ton of 1-day auctions of this card listed over the past couple days. It looks like word got out that they're pulling down auctions so sellers are trying to circumvent by getting it up and closed before the ebay sensors do it.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Plenty of Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth listings. Just two that came to mind.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder why OJ cards are still for sale on ebay?

Exactly.

If you take a look at the Mark Jackson listings, you'll notice the big box sellers, such as Burbank for example, have put their items back up but omitted the word "Menendez" and just say things like famous, brothers, or sometimes what I first thought was accidental but now see as intentional misspelling of the name.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

OJ was acquitted. Hernandez conviction was nullified. Rae served his time.

Clearly, eBay hasn’t thought all this through but ironic nonetheless.

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Just sold a 7 card lot of these for $59.99

Gotta love it

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY