Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anyone know if PCGS will certify porcelain notgeld?

I kind of doubt it (maybe too thick, for one thing), but am curious about that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I am not sure about porcelain, but they have certified a coal dust issue...

They seem to be willing to certify any of the pieces listed in Funke or Lamb, but only some of the pieces listed in Menzel. For instance, they have certified Strassenbahn pieces for me, but not P.O.W. camp issues...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

But they did do Ronald's tokens.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    But they did do Ronald's tokens.

There's a porcelain joke in there somewhere but I'll pass.

ttt

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered about this. I've never seen one in a holder, but they often seem to be in really good condition so it would be a shame not to see them graded.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the population report, I can't find any porcelain notgeld that's been graded. They appear to be throwing the notgeld in the 'German States' categories, which is sort of appropriate. They seem to be labeling them by Jaeger numbers when there is one and by Funck numbers otherwise. It's not clear where they've drawn the lines for what they've graded. You likely will just have to ask them.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/germancoins

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure if slabbing porcelain notgeld is worth it. I have a 75-100 different porcelain “coins” (with city and denomination) and medals from the Weimar era and none of their values warrants slabbing.

In addition, what criteria will the PCGS use to grade them? Very few ever circulated. In addition, most of these pieces were made by dry pressing ceramic powder or pressing material with a “Play-doh” consistency (A small number were also made by slip casting). Then the piece shrinks during firing, so the usual luster, bag marks, etc is not applicable. I also have a few pieces that show pressing or firing defects, so how would those be accounted for?

I wouldn’t worry too much about handling. The Meissen red and white pieces (with the crossed swords makers mark) are actually pretty strong. Some of the glazed pieces from places like Hohr may be slightly more delicate, but if you handle them with the same care you would handle a coin to prevent edge dings and rim bruises, there shouldn’t be a problem. I use Mylar 2x2’s to store them.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    I’m not sure if slabbing porcelain notgeld is worth it. I have a 75-100 different porcelain “coins” (with city and denomination) and medals from the Weimar era and none of their values warrants slabbing.

In addition, what criteria will the PCGS use to grade them? Very few ever circulated. In addition, most of these pieces were made by dry pressing ceramic powder or pressing material with a “Play-doh” consistency (A small number were also made by slip casting). Then the piece shrinks during firing, so the usual luster, bag marks, etc is not applicable. I also have a few pieces that show pressing or firing defects, so how would those be accounted for?

I wouldn’t worry too much about handling. The Meissen red and white pieces (with the crossed swords makers mark) are actually pretty strong. Some of the glazed pieces from places like Hohr may be slightly more delicate, but if you handle them with the same care you would handle a coin to prevent edge dings and rim bruises, there shouldn’t be a problem. I use Mylar 2x2’s to store them.

Makes sense. I can see how regular grading standards wouldn't apply. I just thought it might be fun to add one to my Eclectic Box collection. I'm pretty sure they have certified some of those 1942 experimental US glass cents and other nonmetallic pattern coins, so that made me wonder about porcelain.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

In the last year, it seems they have been certifying more different types of Notgeld than they have in the past

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

It didn’t answer your question at the time you asked it.

A dealer has sold a few of these on eBay in the past 9 months or so. I do not believe PCGS was slabbing porcelain at the time you asked your original question 2+ years ago.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:
    It didn’t answer your question at the time you asked it.

A dealer has sold a few of these on eBay in the past 9 months or so. I do not believe PCGS was slabbing porcelain at the time you asked your original question 2+ years ago.

Wow, has it really been two years? Tempus fugit!