Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is this PCGS slabbed Trade Dollar labeled correctly?

This Trade Dollar is labeled as a Proof by PCGS (see photos). The date is heavy and is shown with the 18 touching (like many of the non-proof coins). All photos of Proofs that I have seen show the 18 in the date as separated. There is no Proof surface between the eagle's claw and branch on this coin which appears to be an attribution point for the normal date Proof, but this coin has a heavy date. Would appreciate any help.

Answers

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 3:48PM

What I like on this coin is the "dot" placed on the "M" of "America" for some reason. :) I'll get back to you.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

So that dot may be a super secret mint tracking device to catch a dubious person? Do tell. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bruce967 said:
    This Trade Dollar is labeled as a Proof by PCGS (see photos). The date is heavy and is shown with the 18 touching (like many of the non-proof coins). All photos of Proofs that I have seen show the 18 in the date as separated. There is no Proof surface between the eagle's claw and branch on this coin which appears to be an attribution point for the normal date Proof, but this coin has a heavy date. Would appreciate any help.

IMHO, I do not think the coin is authentic.

That “comma” after “GRAINS” should be dot-like.

Compare to CoinFacts:

What does the rest of the slab and label look like? Are they authentic PCGS?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said: "IMHO, I do not think the coin is authentic. That “comma” after “GRAINS” should be dot-like.

Compare to CoinFacts:

Unfortunately, You have chosen an image of an 1877 T$ struck with dies from a completely different reverse hub. Perhaps that's why they don't match. :wink:

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Hemispherical said: "IMHO, I do not think the coin is authentic. That “comma” after “GRAINS” should be dot-like.

Compare to CoinFacts:

Unfortunately, You have chosen an image of an 1877 T$ struck with dies from a completely different reverse hub. Perhaps that's why they don't match. :wink:

I stand corrected. Thanks @Insider2. I think I found one of your pics from CW, too.