Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE Website

First let me start by saying I love BBCE and have spent lots of money over the years with them.I really like Steve and enjoy his displays at the national. I also appreciate what he's done for the hobby with his services. All that being said his website is a joke. I've got to believe that it's costing him sales. So today, I go to the site to look for some Christmas stuff and it's just not attractive, more difficult to search than I want it to be. A good rule of thumb is the less clicks needed the better. I tried to find the 12 days of Christmas special and there is a link to tell you how to find it but no link directly to it, you need to type in Christmas special, you've got to be kidding me. Steve's presence in the hobby and reputation deserve a much better site than this. Thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I think the website could use some updating for sure. I think my biggest complaint is the shipping costs, but I probably shouldn't blame BBCE for that. I see a special for a 88D blister rack case for $20. I figure I might have a few hours to kill some day so maybe it would be fun. Maybe I'll try to collect all the different 88D variations. Maybe I'll look for some gems. Maybe I'll use it to roast marshmallows. Anyway, I put it in the cart. I enter my zip code and bam!!! $36.21 for shipping. $20 was already too much so $56.21 is just crazy.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Steve has been great with me and is very fair.If you want to see some outrageous shipping go to eBay.Kruk Cards.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Gotta agree with the Kruk shipping costs.....they had a few things I was going to buy that would fit in a flat rate large mailer and they wanted $33 shipping

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

That sound ridiculous. If it can fit in a cheaper flat rate mailer by all means they should use that. There aren't too many options for shipping a full case of something so I can't really fault BBCE too much I guess. It just seems wrong when the shipping costs more than the thing you are buying. Kind of like the argument for or against the PWE for $1 cards.

Kris

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    It hasn't been too long ago that bbce overhauled the website. I just say that I prefer the old one myself

Agree Craig. Prefer the old one much more. Navigating from a tablet is painful.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of it is little things. When you swipe vertically there's no "sliding" if you know what I mean.

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

They just updated the site a few months ago. I would bet they put a lot of time, effort, and money into it. How about email BBCE with your suggestions. Most business owners would be glad to get some candid feedback.

Shipping is getting outrageous in general. USPS, FedEx, UPS, all raise their rates every year. When you factor in labor, packing materials, shipping and insurance it just goes up and up. I blame the carriers for the high rates.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    A lot of it is little things. When you swipe vertically there's no "sliding" if you know what I mean.

I agree with you on that. I think the shipping costs are fine and I don’t have a problem with the checkout either.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue with junk era bulk product in general is that the shipping cost is higher than the junk. Best bet is to pick that kind of stuff up at a show and forego the shipping cost.

Daniel
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

The only complaint I would have with rhe website is that, on an iPhone or iPad, it’s difficult to scroll down through the items. It takes like 25 swipes to get to the bottom of the listings.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

This would be my #1 request to update.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@lahmejoon said:
    The only complaint I would have with rhe website is that, on an iPhone or iPad, it’s difficult to scroll down through the items. It takes like 25 swipes to get to the bottom of the listings.

This... very painful on iPad. I’ve got to the point I hit the main items and don’t delve any further. :(

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

How about that the back and forward buttons to navigate to the next or previous pages are only on the top of the page rather than the bottom?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

First thing that jumped out at me is the big graphics on the home page, like "upcoming events" have the text poorly placed and it doesn't stand out. White text on very light backgrounds or products is hard to see.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Their site used to be a staple on my phone. It was easy to stay tuned to them. When they changed over I had to give it up. As stated above, it was too painful.
    I tried recently to go back on before Black Friday and found it to be pretty much the same. It's unfortunate. But I guess if it's working for them then it's all good.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel genuinely bad for Steve. I am sure he paid up for the web developers to create the new site. I wonder if the poor interface is starting to cost him some business?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

It’s definitely cost some business. Unless I am searching for something very specific I don’t bother because it’s so cumbersome. I also don’t like that the site doesn’t save my cart. I would spend a bunch of time adding things to the cart but get side tracked before completing the purchase and the cart is empty after just a few minutes. I love BBCE .. it’s the only place I buy Wax without any concerns. Just wish the site was better

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I hope if Steve or Reed are reading this, they don’t take any of this personal as I’d like to think that everyone that’s posted in this thread has spent a lot of money with them over the years. Both have been extremely good to me.

This is strictly constructive criticism and voicing our concerns as customers to try and improve things to ultimately spend more money lol. Someone above said that it’s cumbersome to just scour the website and I agree. Unless I’m looking for a specific box or pack(s), I stopped as well. I hope a plan is in place to correct and improve this issue for the simple fact that I would like to see their business continue to thrive, and if an issue such as this is in fact costing them money, then I would think it’s on their radar to fix.

Fingers crossed.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    ReedBBCEReedBBCE Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:
    I hope if Steve or Reed are reading this, they don’t take any of this personal as I’d like to think that everyone that’s posted in this thread has spent a lot of money with them over the years. Both have been extremely good to me.

This is strictly constructive criticism and voicing our concerns as customers to try and improve things to ultimately spend more money lol. Someone above said that it’s cumbersome to just scour the website and I agree. Unless I’m looking for a specific box or pack(s), I stopped as well. I hope a plan is in place to correct and improve this issue for the simple fact that I would like to see their business continue to thrive, and if an issue such as this is in fact costing them money, then I would think it’s on their radar to fix.

Fingers crossed.

Hey guys. No offense taken; we are aware of the issues. Trust me, we are more frustrated with the website than you guys are. We had a website developer bail on us last year mid-project, so that didn't help things. Rick and Steve are talking to companies now to build us a new one, but you know, they cost a lot of money. It's taking some time to grasp the realities of such a one time and annual expense.

I think I can speak for Steve that we don't really need or want any suggestions, unless you personally can build us a website. He and Rick are quite overwhelmed with all this new information, and any suggestions are just going to confuse things further.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974 email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com

Facebook: bbcexchange
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe that by now there aren't a lot of readily available canned website designs that can be ported over at a reasonable price. Does each website still need to be custom designed? Sorry I'm not that knowledgeable about web development so my question may be dumb.

• Options

I find it very difficult to navigate and find the product I am looking for. I was a big fan of the previous design.

• Options

For the few changes that need to be made, it wouldn't cost more than a couple of grand and a week or two.

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

When they changed to the new website format, I just chalked it up to getting used to something new. But no, it is not as user friendly as the old site. Scrolling on the iPad is a real chore in particular.

Nikklos
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Danica can hook 'em up at Go Daddy. ;)

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I don’t find it hard to find anything.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Surprises me they aren't on a platform such as Magento.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work in web development as well. I'm a database guy so I can't do the site but I know tons of people that can. You can definitely get it redone well using the suggestions above. No need for an expensive company or something overly customized.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djr said:
    It looks like the BBCE site (database) is down?

www.bbcexchange.com

What did you do, David??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Still nothing!

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

@davidlisa said:
    First let me start by saying I love BBCE and have spent lots of money over the years with them.I really like Steve and enjoy his displays at the national. I also appreciate what he's done for the hobby with his services. All that being said his website is a joke. I've got to believe that it's costing him sales. So today, I go to the site to look for some Christmas stuff and it's just not attractive, more difficult to search than I want it to be. A good rule of thumb is the less clicks needed the better. I tried to find the 12 days of Christmas special and there is a link to tell you how to find it but no link directly to it, you need to type in Christmas special, you've got to be kidding me. Steve's presence in the hobby and reputation deserve a much better site than this. Thoughts ?

Steve is AWESOME. Don't bust his chops cause your too lazy to click a little more... PSA 2. You want product, he's got it... just go look for it like the rest of us.

chaz43

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like BBCE but I cant seem to get into the site shopping section today.. I keep getting an error message. anyone else getting it?

• Options

Still the error message

• Options
    edited December 25, 2018 8:53PM

i tried that . i can click the main page but not the side lists or the products .. i get a 404 error when try to click and buy something

• Options

too bad cause am eyeing some of the 70's and early 80's baseball packs

• Options

Good thing they don't want to hear our thoughts and opinions about it. Lol

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

No can buy. Still broken. :'(

The new website is flashy and all but I like the old one since I didn't have to scroll anywhere to get to where I was going. Everything was laid out for me right there in one screen -- specials, highlights, categories, everything.

I'm not complaining, per se, as much as I'm suggesting that one of the keys to a good business website is ease of use for the customer. The less the customer has to do to see and get what you're selling, the better.

My unsolicited and unwanted $0.02.

Arthur

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Make sure not to suggest to them their website isn’t working. It might confuse them.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch and OUCH last two posts

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djr said:
    If you see somethings you would like to buy, just email BBCE.

I'm sure they would be happy to complete the sale via email.

But then it wouldn't be an impulse buy.

Arthur

• Options

That's a 5 hr flight or 33 hr drive for me!

Kris