Home Sports Talk

NON Sports printer question

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think my Epson XP-620 printer secretly uses ink during the day and night. I'm amazed at how quickly the levels lower, which places me in a never ending loop of ponying up for the Epson ripoff of ink cartridges. Despite my due diligence to clean the heads, blah, blah, I'm still chasing the rabbit and find that in fairly short order, I'm kinda back to square one with either ink purchases or doing internal maintenance as mentioned. Clever Epson engineers have managed to ensure that any non-Epson product will not be allowed to install properly.

So, I'm looking for a printer recommendation. I don't do a lot, but when I do use a printer, I want a clean, crisp output. Of course I'd like to enjoy being able to print photos as well.

So, if anyone has a recommendation on a printer that makes you happy and one that hasn't had you mortgage your house to keep it going, I'd appreciate any and all responses. Wi-Fi or course.

Thanks!!
Al

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off, are you buying ink online? EZink is less than half of what the stores, including WalMart, sell it for.

I have a cheap HP that works fine for me, I do not print photos anymore, send the images to Walgreens, they do better quality and very reasonable prices.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I buy off brand ink cartridges for my Epson and HP

You can also fill the cartridges up yourself

around this area we have a place that also does that for less than 1/2

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'n not sure about the Epson, but most of the new printers for the last number of years use the color inks even if you are only printing black & white copies. This method keeps the color ink cartridges from drying out due to non-use over a period of time.

All these printers are ink hogs. The well known strategy of the inkjet machine manufacturers is to "give away" the printers, to make a small fortune off the ink sales.

I've never bought any printer other than HP or Canon, and I prefer the HP. Although I've heard good things about Epson.

I currently have an HP 8710 and it's the best printer I've ever had. Dependable feeding, excellent quality copies, and the software is very user friendly. It's an ink hog as well, but not as bad as the other HP's I've owned, and not nearly as bad as Canon. It produces decent quality photos, but there's probably other printers out there which are better for photos.

I mainly use it for office type copies, Ebay printouts, shipping labels, etc. If the application was primarily for family photos where the highest quality was essential, I'd look for a printer with a higher DPI. Usually these printers are simply referred to as a "photo printer" or something like that, and some of them have more ink cartridges than the standard four inks of printers designed for the office.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pick up a B&W laser printer, send photos to Walgreens as previously suggested. I'm still using the initial toner cartridge that came with mine 8+ years ago. I'll never use an inkjet again.