Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Multi-generational collections

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2018 9:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What are some of the best known multi-generational collections where top coins stay off the market for a long time? St. Oswald, Garrett and Pogue come to mind, in that order of longevity.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

The English coin collection of Archbishop John Sharp of York was assembled in the mid-late 1600s. Pieces were added in the early 1700s but not much after that time. Parts of the collection were sold in the mid 20th century but much of it remained intact until just last year when it finally came to market. The coins were in the possession of the Archbishop’s family descendants the entire time, a collection in one family for more than 300 years.

I am not aware of any numismatic collections, besides maybe royal collections, which have a longer history of family ownership. Actually I can’t think of any collections (that have been publicized at least) with a family ownership of anywhere near that long.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Captain Andrew Zabriskie Collection of Lincoln medals and tokens was put together pretty much contemporaneously to their issuance. After his death, they sat undisturbed in a family member's closet until 1999 when Sotheby's auctioned off these wonderful, forgotten treasures.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a handful of coins that have been in my family as early as the 1870s - nothing too valuable unfortunately.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about Ford? Wasn’t it father and son? I don’t remember exactly but maybe they collected together but
    I thought it continued through his son. They had a large majority of raretokens and medals

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file