Home Sports Talk

Alabama beats Georgia for the SEC title

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live near Athens, Georgia, so pretty much everything here is Georgia, Georgia, Georgia....and MORE Georgia.

Amassing a one time lead of 21-7 with 2 minutes to half-time, it looked like Georgia was gonna beat the Reaper. A "lucky" end zone bounce back into the arms of the Roll Tide fumbler, gifts a touchdown to Alabama, making it 21-14 at the half. A normally locked in Georgia kicker blows a 30 yard chip shot earlier, wide left. Precious points lost against the #1 team.

The Alabama quarterback has ankle issues and in comes the castoff, former starter quarterback, Jalen Hurts, who engineers a stunning 21 point comeback performance, that will guarantee him as an Alabama legend for all eternity. How appropriate that his last name is Hurts.

This coupled with a boneheaded call of a fake punt, that sacks the quarterback, gives Alabama great field position and they're off to the races.

The other weird thing is how Kirby Smart, the Georgia coach, who would platoon two quarterbacks in the game. How inappropriate his last name is Smart. The starting Georgia quarterback, Fromm was on fire, but inexplicably he uses Fields occasionally, who did zip. Fields takes the snap on the fake punt, on a 4 and 11 situation. Alabama nails him for a paltry 4 yard gain. Pun intended, the Tide turned. In fairness to Fields, he is an outstanding quarterback, originally committed to Penn State, but went Georgia. His very limited play throughout the season has hampered his effectiveness (my opinion) and frustrated him...I expected him to transfer after the season ends. It's like always asking a bench guy to come in with 5 minutes left in the game and expecting some miracle.

Now comes the pathetic begging in the post show gig by Kirby Smart. He is almost tearful as he implores the powers to be to let Georgia be one of the chosen 4 to play for the championship. He actually states that other teams really don't want to play Georgia, "just ask the guy across the field for his vote". This "guy" of course is Nick Saban, who he previously worked for in Alabama.

No doubt Georgia will play Texas A&M in the Jan 1, Sugar Bowl, but I guess the cowering Smart kinda sees that as equivalent to kissing your sister.

No joy in Athens today...or, for a long time.

Congrats Alabama, you rose to the occasion and outplayed the Dawgs.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping they beet ‘Bama but great game either way

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Great game, still think Georgia is a better team than Oklahoma. I would like to see it moved to Final 8, even though you’d still have controversy. When you have 5 major conferences, some get left out.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Michigan would beat Georgia.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

Right, the same Michigan that beat NW by 3 after being down 17-0. Don't worry the bowls did you a favor and avoided us all having to witness the embarrassment of Georgia destroying either OSU and Michigan then listening to you whine about how it was really a home game for Georgia.

Robb

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

i agree ... increase the field ... and let in some small schools. What's wrong with 8 at least.

That's what makes College Basketball's March Madness so exciting ... seeing some small school underdog beat a Goliath.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local Athens, GA pundits are crucifying Smart for his boneheaded (stupid says them) of his fake punt attempt. Did he really think Alabama would not see a zillion red flags when both qbs came in for the play?

I think the sadest part was Smart's almost begging for a #4 spot...during that meeting he stated "we weren't here to get a tie"...ah...earth to Smart...there are NO ties in college football. Methinks he realized the COLOSSAL error of his decision and was trying to cover for himself, realizing the alums would be on him like white on rice for his call and the season ending downer. That one play did indeed turn the game. Why not punt and let your defense do what defenses do DEFEND!!

May, or may not be interesting to hear what Kirby Smart has to say while being interviewed at the (assumed) Sugar Bowl game. Better he says, "I blew it".

I do agree with other posters about increasing the # of teams vying for the title, much like March Madness.

edited December 3, 2018 1:13PM

@fergie23 said:
    Right, the same Michigan that beat NW by 3 after being down 17-0. Don't worry the bowls did you a favor and avoided us all having to witness the embarrassment of Georgia destroying either OSU and Michigan then listening to you whine about how it was really a home game for Georgia.

Robb

Georgia choked vs Bama AND LOST TO LSU BY 20 POINTS LOL. OSU would destroy Georgia. QUIT listening to the fake news that is ESECPN.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

since Garnett has once again lowered the bar considerably in terms of analysis with all of his zany conjecture, allow me to introduce an unsound application of the transitive property into the discussion. starting from the top, click on the links.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013348

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013352

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401020753

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401020780

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401015000

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401014992

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401029877

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401029876

he is arguing for OSU's existence into the college football playoffs, but they can't even beat the Holy Cross Crusaders.

holy sh*t that's embarrassing.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's what I'm talking about, I really thought Yale would beat Holy Cross.

On the fake punt, it's my opinion that Kirby knew his defense was gassed. Bama had just put up 14 unanswered points and the Big Mo was on their side. If he makes it they probably win BUT the whole Alabama team saw Fields in the game and we shut it down. Then Jalen did his thing.

Something to think about,
    Georgia had to win to get in the playoffs, and they played like it.
    All week long Bama heard how they could lose that game and still get in.
    At halftime I think Saban got their attention.

ROLL TIDE !!!

edited December 4, 2018 12:13AM

@galaxy27 said:
    since Garnett has once again lowered the bar considerably in terms of analysis with all of his zany conjecture, allow me to introduce an unsound application of the transitive property into the discussion. starting from the top, click on the links.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013348

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013352

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401020753

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401020780

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401015000

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401014992

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401029877

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401029876

he is arguing for OSU's existence into the college football playoffs, but they can't even beat the Holy Cross Crusaders.

holy sh*t that's embarrassing.

How about these sec cupcake losses.

2016 - Southern miss 44 Kentucky 35
    2014 - Temple 37 Vanderbilt 7
    2015 The Citadel 23 South Carolina 22
    2013 Georgia Southern 26 Florida 20
    2015 Toledo 16 Arkansas 12
    2017 Troy 24 LSU 21
    2016 South Alabama 21 Mississippi State 20

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no doubt Alabama is the best team this year and has the best program over about the past ten years. Georgia is a top tier tough team. I also believe the SEC is top heavy. I believe the big ten is as good or probably better than the SEC from top to bottom. The reason a middle of the road Big Ten (14, I think) team can rise up and destroy Goliath whereas a middle of the road SEC team doesn't have a snowballs chance in Hell is the quality of the middle of the road Big team is far superior to a middle of the road SEC team. Garnett is correct in thinking there is a prejudice for the SEC, however that does not diminish Alabama greatness. If Georgia was in the Big they would be a contender for the title. Why does OSU have to go to the Rose Bowl? A Georgia - Ohio State matchup would be a great Bowl game.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

so its only the playoff format thats dirty ? :D

College sports are a sewer it would be much more surprising if the playoffs weren't corrupt and rigged.

Fans of any particular team only complain when its not rigged for them in particular. If it was in their teams favor then it would be nothing to see here move along.

There is still something odd about caring this much about college anything. If you aren't still in college isn't it time to move on?

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who wins the National Championship is not a matter of life or death.

It seems to be a bit more important than that.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    I have no doubt Alabama is the best team this year and has the best program over about the past ten years. Georgia is a top tier tough team. I also believe the SEC is top heavy. I believe the big ten is as good or probably better than the SEC from top to bottom. The reason a middle of the road Big Ten (14, I think) team can rise up and destroy Goliath whereas a middle of the road SEC team doesn't have a snowballs chance in Hell is the quality of the middle of the road Big team is far superior to a middle of the road SEC team. Garnett is correct in thinking there is a prejudice for the SEC, however that does not diminish Alabama greatness. If Georgia was in the Big they would be a contender for the title. Why does OSU have to go to the Rose Bowl? A Georgia - Ohio State matchup would be a great Bowl game.

I agree, they ought to let the fans vote on who plays who. Give us 2 days to vote and go from there.
    I'd love to see Georgia and OSU play instead of Ga/Texas and OSU/Washington.
    That would be a hell of a game, Haskins vs Fromm.

edited December 6, 2018 4:05AM

@Bullsitter said:

@Brick said:

I agree, they ought to let the fans vote on who plays who. Give us 2 days to vote and go from there.

Haskins vs TUA wouldve been better. WHAT ALABAMA FAN THAT WOULDNT WANT TO SEE ANOTHER OSU/ALABAMA SEMIFINAL?? Thanks committee. Michigan and Georgia would've been a great matchup. Both are 10-2. I don't think Michigan has ever lost to Florida. GA should destroy Texas.
    What is Bama's record against Oklahoma? Buckeyes and Oklahoma have only played 4 times. Just curious.

edited December 6, 2018 1:33PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Brick said:

Haskins vs TUA wouldve been better. WHAT ALABAMA FAN THAT WOULDNT WANT TO SEE ANOTHER OSU/ALABAMA SEMIFINAL?? Thanks committee. Michigan and Georgia would've been a great matchup. Both are 10-2. I don't think Michigan has ever lost to Florida. GA should destroy Texas.

What is Bama's record against Oklahoma?

1-3-1
    Bryant 1-1
    Shula 0-2
    Saban 0-1

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

In what? Probably in hockey.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Georgia choked vs Bama AND LOST TO LSU BY 20 POINTS LOL. OSU would destroy Georgia. QUIT listening to the fake news that is ESECPN.

OSU got stomped by a crappy team, and beat Maryland by a missed extra point. If they wanted in, they should have played better.

edited December 8, 2018 12:18AM

@markj111 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Nope football. Georgia always finds a way to lose big games. Georgia already got blown out by a THIRD string Ohio State QB this year. :D

edited December 8, 2018 12:44PM

@garnettstyle said:

@markj111 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Nope football. Georgia always finds a way to lose big games. Georgia already got blown out by a THIRD string Ohio State QB this year. :D

You really don't want to get that Purdue thing going again do you? Don't be a jerk, if you wanna talk blowouts, we'd be happy to revisit your team's inept play.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@garnettstyle said:

@markj111 said:

@garnettstyle said:

You really don't want to get that Perdue thing going again do you? Don't be a jerk, if you wanna talk blowouts, we'd be happy to revisit your team's inept play.

Conference champions 2 years in a row and the second winningest team in history. What did your team do?

@garnettstyle said:

Conference champions 2 years in a row and the second winningest team in history. What did your team do?

Well, I decided to look for your great team in the final four, fighting for the National Championship. Can't seem to find them anywhere among the four top teams...perhaps OSU wasn't good enough, or competitive enough to make the cut., I guess they couldn't handle the competition. However, I did find my team among the top four best in the country, and I expect they'll take the National title.

Oh yeah, I did see where OSU got the Rose Bowl...kinda like kissin' your sister, given how incredibly exceptional the OSU team is supposed to be. And, the cherry on the cake is that your lyin' coach will be gone...enjoy the playoffs, I will. Gee, I also noticed that YOUR team came in 6th, just behind Georgia. Kindofa sad season for you I guess, or just not enough talent to beat Purdue, and that cost your team a shot at the title.

My team will be in Santa Clara, your team will be nowhere to be found. Keep livin' in the past, that's all you've got this year.

edited December 8, 2018 3:07PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@garnettstyle said:

Well, I decided to look for your great team in the final four, fighting for the National Championship. Can't seem to find them anywhere among the four top teams...perhaps OSU wasn't good enough, or competitive enough to make the cut., I guess they couldn't handle the competition. However, I did find my team among the top four best in the country, and I expect they'll take the National title.

Oh yeah, I did see where OSU got the Rose Bowl...kinda like kissin' your sister, given how incredibly exceptional the OSU team is supposed to be. And, the cherry on the cake is that your lyin' coach will be gone...enjoy the playoffs, I will. Gee, I also noticed that YOUR team came in 6th, just behind Georgia. Kindofa sad season for you I guess, or just not enough talent to beat Purdue, and that cost your team a shot at the title.

My team will be in Santa Clara, your team will be nowhere to be found. Keep livin' in the past, that's all you've got this year.

As long as you keep out 2 conference champions, and a team that is riding a 26 game winning streak. There is no way you can have a true playoff. So enjoy your fake playoffs. And yes everyone knows OSU could beat at least 2 teams that is in the top 4. ND hasn't beaten Ohio State in over 80 years. Not to mention, they only beat Michigan by 7 points. And it would probably be a pick em game against Oklahoma. Bama would be favored but they were exposed against a team that got blown out by a third string Buckeye quarterback. Georgia is ranked behind Ohio State in 2 of the 3 major polls and got rewarded with a 4 loss team in the bowl game.