Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Futebol Rookies - Zico, Eusebio, Jascin, Cruyff

Hello, as some here know, I am an active collector of vintage futebol (soccer) rookie cards/stickers. These 4 in particular, however, I am having some difficulty determining the earliest/rookie issue as their professional debuts preceded the earliest issues I have been able to find.

For what I can find, these are currently the earliest issues for each that I’ve found:

Zico - 1976 Saravan Copa Brasíl (2 stickers from this set)
-While 1976 was his debut year for the national team, he played for Flamengo beginning in 1971, when he made 15 apps.

Eusebio - 1961 A Francesa Estrelas Dos Estadios
-Made his debut with Benfica in 1961 but began his professional career in 1957, playing for Sporting de Lourenço Marques for 3 years.

Jascin (Yashin) - 1959 Heinerle
-I would be surprised if this is the earliest, as he made his debut in 1950 for Dynamo Moscow though didn’t play regularly until 1953. He also played on the national team beginning in 1954.

Cruyff - 1967 Palirex
-Began his professional career with Ajax in 1964.

If anyone here has any insight or knowledge of earlier known issues for these players, I would love to know!

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear ya Kyle!

For Cruyff, yes, that is his first card. There are some team photos/postcards earlier but they aren't something I ever see as going to be graded in the future.

With Lev Jascin (Yashin, (sic)), I own 5 different ones of his from 1958 that are all items that PSA grades. I have not found earlier ones yet.

There is one Eusebio in the 1961-1962 WS-VERLAG WANNE-EICKEL set that PSA grades. There are multiple 1961 Portuguese ones but tough to get them to grade.

Zico, you've got it so far.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input and knowledge! Curious what the 1958 Jascin ones are.. care to elaborate or share photos? Would love to see..

As for the others, I’m still hoping to find a Brazilian issue Zico from pre-1976 - I’m sure one has to exist!

• Options

My mistake; I have 6 different Jascin cards from 1958:

1958 Monty Gum International Footballers - Kwartet - Green Back - (NNO) Lev Jascin

1958 Monty Gum International Footballers Playing Cards - Red Back - #5S Lev Jascin

1958 WS-Verlag Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft 1958 #34 Lev Jascin/Tom Finney

1958 WS-Verlag Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft 1958 #35 Russian Players in Training (w/Lev Jascin)

1958 WS-Verlag Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft 1958 #77 Pele/Garrincha/Lev Jascin

1958 WS-Verlag Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft 1958 #82 Kurt Hamrin/Lev Jascin

Obviously the #77 card with Pele/Garrincha/Jascin is the most expensive of the bunch.

It is not unlikely that an earlier Zico card will turn up eventually. If it is a mission you're on, you should be doing it on mercadolibre.

• Options

Well, I dug through my Brasilian card album resources I've saved and located at least one earlier Zico card. I am willing to bet I could find records of there being more too, earlier than this one. The bigger challenge would be tracking them down in hand instead of on a computer image. I do not own it, but I can tell you there is definitely the following:

1975 Dicorel Ltda. - Ole' de Ouro - #39 Zico

• Options
    edited December 1, 2018 5:58PM

Zico appears in the Flamengo team shot in a 8-sticker puzzle portion of a larger set in the 1974 Brasil Recreativo album (the red album cover, not the Saravan Ltda. competing set with the yellow cover).

• Options
    BeautifulGameBeautifulGame Posts: 4
    edited December 3, 2018 10:44AM

I am selling what I believe to be one of the nicest Soccer Card collections in North America.

Zico, Eusebio, Jascin, Cruyff

Of the players you list I have the following cards that I can sell:

1958 Heinerle Jashin: PSA 2
    1961-1962 WS Verlog Wanne Eickel Eusebio: Ungraded
    1965 Ajax Johan Cruyff Pin Topper (it's a pin with a small plastic card on top) * I have 3 of these
    *I think this is his first team collectible, it's quite nice.
    1968 Sicker Verlag / Cryuff/Subbier: PSA 2 (looks nicer than this grade)
    1976 Collecao Camponato Nacional Copa Brasil Zico: ungraded
    1977 Ping Pong Zico: I have four of these (2 of each pose all ungraded)
    1978 FKS Publishing Zico: PSA 7

I have many other cards from many other players including the first rookies of several dozen of them both graded and ungraded. If interested then send me a message.
    I'd rather sell the entire lot but as a collector I can offer you a deal on just these players first if you are interested.

If anyone else is interested in acquiring a lifetime's collection of pre-2000 graded and ungraded premium soccer cards then send me a message. @miwlvrn

• Options

I also have the following graded Non rookies:
    1966 Panini Dello Jascin: PSA 5.5
    1966 Panini Dello Jascin: PSA 6
    1966 Panini Dello Jascin: PSA 8 (OC)
    1966 Panini Dello Jascin: PSA 8
    1966 Panini Dello Cruyff: PSA 4
    1966 Panini Dello Cruyff: PSA 5
    1981 Panini Zico: PSA 7
    1981 Panini Zico: PSA 8

• Options

@BeautifulGame said:

If anyone else is interested in acquiring a lifetime's collection of pre-2000 graded and ungraded premium soccer cards then send me a message. @miwlvrn

Thank you for the note but I believe I am all set on those items as I already own the ones I need of them.

• Options

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I have something you don’t have in the rest of my collection?

• Options

Please use PM instead, thanks.