Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 michael jordan rookie "bubblegum-less card" question. anyone seen this?

han_sotohan_soto Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2018 3:52AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

going thru the collection and found this interesting item.

dated feb 6th 1984 in a newspaper (not dayton) and cant seem to find another like it.

since feb would make it the ‘83-‘84 season right?

not foolish to think it's any holy grail, but could this be his first "card"?

would the general pop even consider this a "card" even though it's not?

(does say "-less card" bottom left hand corner)

any chance this should be sent in to psa?

it's the full strip, so basically a folded newspaper size.

should it be cut to be graded?

leave as is?

and zero clue on value.

date:

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

Cal Ripken Jr. appeared on these in 1983 & 1985

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 6:01AM

really can't tell you how readily they become available since I acquired them well over 30 years ago

IMF

P.S. I just checked eBay and there is a 1983 example listed for about $65

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

They are once in a blue moon as a Pete Rose player collector have seen maybe 3 of them in last 5 years or so and there are 2 of them. Have to find a shop close to Wichita probably has a horde of them collecting dust.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I personally dont consider anything cut from a newspaper to be a trading card. More a picture with a caption. Just my opinion

To me this seems just like the notorious 1966 THE SPORTING NEWS-HAND CUT NOLAN RYAN

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I’m still wondering why they won’t grade the 1954 SIs.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:

@craig44 said:
    I personally dont consider anything cut from a newspaper to be a trading card. More a picture with a caption. Just my opinion

and opinions are what i came for, so thank you! i dont classify it as a card either but i would definitely differentiate it from that nolan ryan debacle.

if my memory serves me correct, that monstrosity was simply a photo cut out of a magazine and in no way, shape or form was even intended to be referred to as a card and more along the lines of actually slabbing some poor guys obituary.

at the very least these and the daytons were billed as bubble gum-less cards with borders, bios and told to clip and save. and have checklists.

That's a fair point, and I can agree with you there when you put it that way. Here is a link that shows the complete Ryan page that some other seller has listed:

https://ebay.com/itm/1966-NOLAN-RYAN-THE-SPORTING-NEWS-SEPTEMBER-24TH-PSA-MASTER-SET-UNCUT-FULL-PAGE/323537647873?hash=item4b5458b901:g:fI4AAOSwRWZb4jz4:rk:2:pf:0

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 7:13AM

Whether considered a card or not, these have been included in many player collector checklists for many years. They are not like a "picture and a caption" in that they were printed to be cut out and saved. They are not easy to find, but I also wouldn't call them rare, they come up from time to time. The Jordan is very cool!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 3:56PM

I'd call it a card. Why not? Nice find. Keep it intact. Or snip it up. Doesn't matter. It's cool.

ETA: I also have the '66 Ryan mentioned above fully intact. Picked it up for $8 a few years back.

Andy

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few issues that were printed in newspapers with the intention of having them cut out & saved or traded, like trading cards. Most tend to be a bit harder to find because of how they were distributed and saved (or not saved in many cases). The same could be said for any "card" issued as a bonus rather than it being the primary item being purchased, but most of those were either printed in much greater quantities or were more apt to be saved. I think it was the latter.

I will always try to grab them when I see them at a good price, but most tend to be more expensive because they are so much harder to find.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.