Home Q & A Forum
Options

1999-P Jefferson Nickel Double Die's?

DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I'm back for another chance to present you guys with what I hope to finally give you an error I can be proud of. Last post I had pennies that you guys described as a grease filled die eliminating some letters for me and the other you called it a PMD which scratched off the majority of a 199? date. So I went back researched and read more and dug more through a box of nickels and found the following 1999-P Jefferson Nickel. Hopefully I am getting closer to the elusive error coin dug from the abyss of stack of coins rolled in paper and pulled out of a box of 50.
Give me your opinions, good or bad on reality of the find, picture quality, presentation. And of course how much would pay for it. (I researched sold coins on ebay like you said so I have an idea) You guys are my mentors and I need direction before I hit the streets. This coin I believe has (23) double die character errors (letters or numbers) on the obverse side for your viewing pleasure or displeasure.

Thanks

DiggerJim

Sorry, Got the pictures out of order.

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is a combination of worn dies and machine doubling.

• Options

Machine doubling? Another term I just now heard of Insider2! I just googled it and it looks exactly like what I have. Wow kind of embarrassing. Hard to argue with an expert. So how much will you give me for it? LOL

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't be so fast. There is no such thing as an "expert." That is a neat coin and we can only guess with images. Wait for additional opinions.

While you wait, go to ErrorRef on the internet and study it. Also look up the minting process. If you put your mind to it and spend probably 30 hours in deep study taking notes, you will be way above many of the dealers at shows.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD, but a spectacular example. If it were me I'd keep it as a reference piece.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the “Longacre doubling “ effect of die erosion (wear) spreading out letters and details. Also looks like machine doubling, also known as ejection doubling or shelf doubling.

If you want a good shot at finding a nice Uncirculated Doubled Die, look at the Denver Nickels in 1981 mint sets. There is a cool one to be found with a die scratch through UN of United and on the left side of the F in five cents

• Options

So after reading Hemisphericals link to the NGC article on Double Die's vs Machine Double Die's. I am lead to believe that during the manufacturing of the die it is made with the doubling on the die already? So every coin struck with that die will be a double? And if each die is inspected by seven people before going into production how can it pass all seven? And one more question. How long does a die last, how coins does it make before replacement?

• Options

Found a different post that at the Denver mint they get 12 coins per second and the dies are changed every 6 hours. That's 12 x 60 sec x 60 minutes x 6 hours is about 259,200 coins per die set. The coins are checked every 15 minutes for errors and if any are found the entire bin is quarantined.

Well back to digging and research and hopefully back soon with better results!!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:
    Found a different post that at the Denver mint they get 12 coins per second and the dies are changed every 6 hours. That's 12 x 60 sec x 60 minutes x 6 hours is about 259,200 coins per die set. The coins are checked every 15 minutes for errors and if any are found the entire bin is quarantined.

Well back to digging and research and hopefully back soon with better results!!

Nice information you have dug up.
    If that is accurate, I wonder if it could be assumed that based on those numbers, the average doubled die or rpm varieties have an estimated mintage of roughly 10k-250k if not noticed after the first 15 minute interval.