Home Q & A Forum
Options

2016 ASE - A PCGS MS70?

Hi All. I am new to this forum and I am very grateful that I have been accepted. I bought a 2016 ASE last year but due to a heavy workload, I shelved it. During the last long weekend, I thoroughly went over some coins among them the aforesaid coin. I am attaching some photos for you to help me determine its grade and if it is a genuine PCGS capsule. At the obverse, there is a deep scratch at 8:00 and a hairline on the reverse just above the word "dollar". There is no sign of tampering on the capsule. I know it is hard to grade coin thru photos but your opinion will help me decide what to do with the coin.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2018 3:45PM

@Collecthor

The cert number lookup can be found here: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/

Looking through a plastic slab can be deceptive in what is observed.

So, IMHO:

Obverse pic: You have some toning on the rims and toning spots in the fields (around right foot/leg) and looks like more toning developing above and around IGWT.

Date pics: Toning. The “line” through the 16 maybe a die crack. Scratch on slab? Date itself looks doubled.

Currently, first strike MS70 looks to be about $45-$50 at auction.

Is yours a “perfect” MS70? I guess it would be based upon the eyes of the beholder (or buyer if you are trying to sell).

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is no longer a seventy. Stains that develop after slabbing are not guaranteed by any TPGS.

• Options

Thank you guys. I agree the issue here is toning. I did some research in coin toning and I guess the middle spoon (see pic below) is the type of toning affecting my coin. I would like to hear your comments on the deep cut at obv 8:00. Coupled with the tonning the grade of this coin must really be way down. I also have the issue about the doubling that I will post in another thread.
    BTW I checked the cert number and it confirms this coin as legit.

For those who would like to learn more about toning here is the link.
    http://blog.goldeneaglecoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/silver-forks-tarnish-gradient.jpeg

Collecthor

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but this is bullion. And the TPGs treat it that way. This MS70 game is a fool's errand, and a costly one at that. In 10 years it will be forgotten, and the next marketable idea will take its place.

thefinn
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure that "cut" is not a scratch on the holder? it is not in the same focus as the coin. Looks like it is above the coin.

• Options

Hi JBK. That was what I thought too, the cut or anomaly was ON the slab. I made the a simple test and the result was negative. Focus is on the ink.

I also found another anomaly of the reverse. It looks like a missing part of the rim just above the letter S of the State. I made the same test and the defect is on the coin
    The whole date is also machine doubled.
    Now look at the letters of the motto

And in less than three years my MS70 is having a very ugly tarnish! Am I missing something here?!
    And thanks thefinn, your comment is really a food for thought.

Thank to all.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry that yours turned, but it is what it is. A slabbed bullion ASE.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Sorry, but this is bullion. And the TPGs treat it that way. This MS70 game is a fool's errand, and a costly one at that. In 10 years it will be forgotten, and the next marketable idea will take its place.

IMO, guessing the future of numismatic trends is fool's errand.

• Options

Hi to all again. Sorry for the lapse, had to make an errand. Notice those dots on the obv just above the N of ONE. I thought it was on the holder but after a closer look, it seems like some die chips on the field.

I am new in coin collecting and I feel down about the whole thing. Nevertheless, After reading threads from this forum on similar cases like this, I have decided to keep the coin. What a turn, at least keeping the coin would remind me and even my kids that so many things are not a rosy as it seems. I might even frame the coin and name it "FEC - Fool's errand coin" with a subtitle "even the best make mistakes" or "a systems failure". So that's it, no more MSs whatever me. Much remains for PCGS to tidy up its house so that it can continue to serve and even police the numismatic world as called for in its vision-mission statements.
    I thank everyone for the comments.
    Collecthor