18 Mississippi State (8-4) 21
19 Northwestern (8-4) 22
20 Syracuse (9-3) 12
21 Utah State (10-2) 23
22 Texas A&M (8-4) NR
23 Boise State (10-2) 25
24 Pittsburgh (7-5) NR
25 Iowa State (7-4)

Every year at this time the inevitable discussion begins about how to change the current playoff arrangement. It usually comes down to those who are in --- four schools --- thinking that the set-up is OK while everyone else is somehow perceived as having a bad season with a bad HC and playing easy opponents who they should have done better against. I don't know if it's that simple.

If I look at the records above I wonder, when did "11-1" "10-2" or even "9-3" turn into records that are a disappointment and something to be ashamed of??? It would seem that with an arbitrary system such as we currently have that a change is really needed, that the way it is just isn't an objective way to finish an NCAA football season. Maybe the TV ratings are good and the money is flowing.

Maybe there is one, but I can't think of any other Sport at any level that has a "Playoff" format like this. Strangely, not many will argue that the current Number One Team is the best, but the way we arrive at that is sort of convoluted. Several of the games yesterday had "Playoff implications" and the same can be said for the upcoming Conference Championship Games. Isn't it time that the NCAA admits that sham and comes up with something better?? Any thoughts on what is needed for the change we mostly think would be good??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Its impossible to have a true national champion when only 4 teams qualify for a playoff spot. Just look at high school. Often times it is the team that wasn't expected to win, ends up winning a state championship.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

They will eventually end up with a 16 team playoff. It will take many years to get there though.

Robb

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see a sports thread originating with you Keets. Hope all is well. I have no idea how this is all going to turn out. As for the Big Ten Championship game, My prayers are with Northwestern and that the game with OSU stays somewhat close. I have a very bad feeling about this one in that OSU could win by 4 touchdowns... possibly more. And even should they win by a big margin, not sure that gets them where they want to be other than the RoseBowl

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope all is much better now Keets! Welcome back to the fold. Good man for not letting outside influences get you down! Miss your threads and knowledge. Keep it up Keets! We all support you in your good fight.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

All other divisions in college football use a playoff system and it works for them.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I agree, though. They see all of the money thrown out by bowl sponsors. Too short sighted to think about how many games a playoff system would gain (and more games = more money).

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    They will eventually end up with a 16 team playoff. It will take many years to get there though.

Robb

...and I will be a lost fan when that happens. We now has a three month long playoff system where every game for the top team is huge.

To drudge through 4 rounds of playoffs will kill the excitement.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

...and I will be a lost fan when that happens. We now has a three month long playoff system where every game for the top team is huge.

To drudge through 4 rounds of playoffs will kill the excitement.

think of all the extra anthems though. Who cares about the games anyway , just play the anthem and everyone can go home .

• Options

Bronco...you want to tolerate pro athletes that despise the US, that is fine.

I refuse to honor them.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

A longer playoff system is needed to generate more revenue because the "esteemed" college professors who are making a quarter mil a year for working five hours per week along with one or two months vacation, need to have more money.

• Options

@stevek said:
    A longer playoff system is needed to generate more revenue because the "esteemed" college professors who are making a quarter mil a year for working five hours per week along with one or two months vacation, need to have more money.

professors don't get the money its all admin

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Bronco...you want to tolerate pro athletes that despise the US, that is fine.

I refuse to honor them.

I want to group them by teams and a panel of whiny old farts can give them scores based on their anthem skill.

all anthems all the time.

Scholarships handed out to the best high school anthem kids , then college teams , a draft to the big leagues.

Full cable coverage on the anthem channel

• Options

Or just watch hockey.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Or just watch hockey.

its 5 am out there in tucson the anthem network is a test pattern until 7 go back to sleep

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 60's New Years Day was the big day. Me and my Dad would watch the 4 Bowl games....Rose, Cotton, Orange and Sugar. It was great. Now there are what......a couple 100 bowl games starting in December and going until Jan. or Feb.! Who knows and who cares. Lost interest years ago!

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I love bowl season. Always lots of great competitive games every year.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Back in the 60's New Years Day was the big day. Me and my Dad would watch the 4 Bowl games....Rose, Cotton, Orange and Sugar. It was great. Now there are what......a couple 100 bowl games starting in December and going until Jan. or Feb.! Who knows and who cares. Lost interest years ago!

Yeah...I got into a bit later with about 7 games on NY day. It was a blast and at about midnight the Orange Bowl ended and like a dream...the season was over.

Now it is stupid time.